Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus Surgery Costs  (Read 1244 times)

Offline mjessie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Meniscus Surgery Costs
« on: February 20, 2004, 08:04:50 PM »
My brother recently found out he has a torn meniscus. The Dr. said it would not get better without surgery, but with surgery the chances are almost 100%.  Since this kind is elective surgery, it is not covered by insurance. Doc said the cost was a couple of thousand dollars, his sec. would give total. She called and said total is $18,000 dollars. We called back is there some mistake, she double -checked and said yes- it's actually $23,000. Does this sound  right because we were told the whole procedure takes about 2 hours and you go home the same day, so we can't understand why it's so much.
Also, my Bro. was told he has a lot of calcium deposits on his bones. What does that mean and is there anything you can do to get rid of it? Thanks for any feedback!  Good Sister ???

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Meniscus Surgery Costs
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 08:52:11 PM »
Hi mjessie,

$23000 or 12365 is a rip off to repair a torn meniscus and should go to another Clinic even if its far to travel it will still work out cheaper. In UK 12365 at a top Knee clinic in the UK is enought to have a total knee replacement 9000 and day case key hole surgery of the knee 2300. It would be cheaper to fly to UK and get treated but not worth the hassle and stress,even cheaper in Germany. I am sure you can find another Clinic thats cheaper even if its in another State.

A Member on this board might know more about the cost of a torn miniscus and calcium deposits in USA, as I do not live in the USA if thats were you live, from the UK.

Maybe another Member will know what calcium deposits on bone means. I hope your Brother finds a good OS who charges a lot less, Nick :){2004}:)

Link below is the cost of Arthroscopy etc (key hole surgery) at a top UK Knee Clinic to get an idea on the prices in UK.

http://www.kneeclinics.co.uk/factsheets/payment_options.html

To convert from to $ go to link below

www.xe.com

« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 10:38:51 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 10:03:34 PM »
Sounds a bit high to me. Don't forget, you also have to add in the hospital's bill and the anesthesiologist. Even a reasonable total could be close to $10,000.

Offline Chris M.

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I &quot;love&quot; PT... Really I do
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 03:35:58 AM »
well, my ACL surgery (home in a couple of hours also) was over $30K
ACL Reconstructive using hammy 11/18/03.
Currently 12 weeks post OP, PT going well except a touch of tendonitis

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 04:09:03 AM »
Hey, mjessie!

I think I'd contest the "elective" designation. Why should it be elective? Maybe you need to find another doctor to back your brother up in a bid to get rid of the elective part of the diagnosis.

LizL

PS: I wonder if the OS was only quoting you his fee and the receptionist was quoting an estimate of total costs?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 04:10:41 AM by lizl »
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March