Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Flare up?  (Read 2532 times)

Offline Stelfox

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Flare up?
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:45:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

I haven't been on here for a while, I would just like some info on arthritis and if what I'm experiencing is normal and how long it last for. I'm 28 years old and gained the injury due to wake boarding.

This is my injury on my left knee:

1st op Oct 2006: Left knee ACL graft repair, small medial and lateral meniscus removed.
2nd op Nov 2009: Left knee 1cm micro fracture (MFX) carried out on lateral femoral condyle and some more lateral meniscus removed.
3rd op Sept 2011: left knee 2cm micro fracture (MFX) carried out on the same are as before
I also have some osteophytes growing around the edges of my knee.

My knee has been fine for the past year and I didn't really think about my knee ie) it wasn't the first thing on my mind when I woke up. Recently I have changed gyms and have had to do different exercises for my knee due to the different equipment. I think this put different strain on my knee and caused a flare up of my arthritis, as the issue I have with my knee seems to be a dull ache, and a tired feeling in my knee and slight swelling. I have no acute pain which I gues is a good sign, just a dull ache and tiredness.

I've always taken glucosamine, condroitin and cod liver oil, which in my head was the cure during this past year for me. But I started to be a bit slack just before I started getting this recent issue, missing a few tablets every other day. So about 2 weeks ago I started taking higher dosage supplements hoping this might work in 3 months time.

Is flare ups common for osteoarthritis and how long can they last for? Do they go away for periods? Is there any miracle treatment, as I do know is incurable. Will it get worse, even if I take care of my knee? I constantly think about my knee, it's the first thing that comes into my mind when I wake up, and every spare sec I have I think about my knee, it's depressing me, and I'm worried what the future holds and what options I have.

If anyone can share some light with me, I would really appreciate it, and thank you for reading😊

support