Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Second displaced patella fracture  (Read 650 times)

Offline Secondtimearound

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Second displaced patella fracture
« on: April 01, 2016, 03:58:10 PM »
Hello all.  This is my first post but I have read this forum many times over the last few months. I am a healthy 27 year old woman, have a wonderful little boy who is almost 1 and a very supportive husband (this has been important). In January, on my way into the pediatrician's office with baby, I slipped on a patch of ice in the parking lot and broke my patella. This was probably the worst pain I have ever felt, even more than childbirth. The nurses came out and brought my little guy inside so they could help me in. In the office, the Dr thought it looked dislocated but okay then. I was left for about 15 minutes while we waited for him to be seen. I could not sit, obviously, but I tried to put weight on it and that ended with us falling backwards into the tile. He was terrified, I was terrified, everyone was crying. A nurse brought us to the ER where it was obvious by the size of my knee that there was a major issue. I had an ORIF that afternoon and went home the day after. This was all very tough because I had never been away from my baby that long and was breastfeeding, so constantly fighting for the time/ability to pump.
Recovery felt like ages. I was home for 4 weeks before returning to work. I started physical therapy a month and a half later and have really thrived. I love my physical therapist and have made huge strides. As of 3/30/16, I was up to 133 degrees ROM and doing very well in lifts and strength exercises. My hardware removal surgery was scheduled for 4/13/16. A week after my baby turns 1. I felt like this would be the new beginning that I needed!
Yesterday, 3/31/16, on my way down my stairs, my left knee buckled and I lost my footing. I bent it too far and heard a snap. My husband came running and tried to get my to stand on it. It was obvious then that there was something wrong- it was deformed and I could not stand. We went to the hospital again and found that I fractured it again, in the same place as before. The hardware that I have so badly wanted out (aches, constant aches and pains) kept it from completely displacing like before. My surgeon did not act surprised and we are watching it for another 5 days when we will xray again to see if it has displaced more. If it has, he wants to operate again to redo the hardware.
I've honestly never felt worse about myself. I feel like this time is worse than the first because I have worked SO hard to get better and to be able to play with my baby again. I wanted to garden this spring, to go on bike rides again, to do yoga on my deck. I feel completely hopeless. My husband is trying to hide his frustration, but I know it's there. He thought he was done carrying the Polar Pack up and down the stairs, helping me change my pants, getting me into the shower and out. Now he has to care for the baby almost alone again.
I guess I don't know what I'm looking for. Why did this happen? It really wasn't that bad of a fall. Has anyone else gone through a SECOND break and been ok? What will my recovery time look like? I just can't believe it, and I'm so sad.
Displaced patella fracture 1/11/16 from fall on ice
ORIF 1/11/16 2 Screws 2 Wires
Started PT 3/1/16
ROM 133 3/30/16
Displaced fracture 3/31/16, not held in place by existing hardware
ORIF 2nd Time 4/11/16 2 add'l pins, 2 add'l wires
ROM 145 6/21/16
Hardware Removed 6/29/16

Offline Secondtimearound

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Second displaced patella fracture
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 02:46:33 AM »
Update: xrays on Tuesday showed that the fracture has increased/changed size. I will have another ORIF on Monday the 11th. Still trying to process the fact that the last 4 months have been for nothing and I am starting over. I won't have the summer I envisioned with my baby and family. This just hurts. :(
Displaced patella fracture 1/11/16 from fall on ice
ORIF 1/11/16 2 Screws 2 Wires
Started PT 3/1/16
ROM 133 3/30/16
Displaced fracture 3/31/16, not held in place by existing hardware
ORIF 2nd Time 4/11/16 2 add'l pins, 2 add'l wires
ROM 145 6/21/16
Hardware Removed 6/29/16