Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL, MCL, PCL, majority of lateral meniscus!  (Read 502 times)

Offline venicematt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL, MCL, PCL, majority of lateral meniscus!
« on: March 29, 2016, 01:42:52 AM »
First off... I can't tell you how stoked I am to be turned on to this forum! Thank you all!

Some insight needed on the future other than the glory from the orthopedic surgeon. Ha :o
I have complete 100% tears of ACL, MCL, PCL and majority of lateral meniscus from a surfing accident, Feb 24, 2016. I've been crazy diligent in what rehab I can do, am wearing a brace, etc... I'm still completely unable to engage quads fully straightening leg and flexion is minimal, maybe 30 degrees. Atrophy is crazy already!

Anyway, it looks like surgery is going to be in the next 6 weeks and was informed the protocol is 4 weeks in a lock-out brace. I was NOT prepared for that information. Any insight and or ways of coping? I'm super active, 48yo M, and the thought of non-weight bearing, in a lock out brace, I can't wrap my fat cranium around at this juncture.

Cheers, ;D
Matt

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: ACL, MCL, PCL, majority of lateral meniscus!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 12:24:22 PM »
Hi Matt ~ I'm no expert on the subject but I do know that with an injury as extensive as yours, it's probably a very good idea to start getting your head wrapped around that length of time non-weight bearing. What's that rehab time by comparison to what you hope is a long & active life thereafter?

I've been w/o an ACL for 11 years now & because of my old age when I had the accident, my OS wasn't even interested in discussing surgery. So I made the best of it and yes, to a certain degree it curtails my activities.

And if you're not satisfied with what one doctor says, is there any reason you can't go elsewhere for a second opinion? Wishing you the best.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

support