Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Reposted advice pleas  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Mya

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Reposted advice pleas
« on: March 26, 2016, 09:59:50 AM »
Hi, Having a woe is me day ... I know things will get better, but ....Really feeling like things will never get back to normal and would really appreciate some words of wisdom. I had a TKR 2010 and in January this year, fell off a ladder and shattered my patella and ruptured patella tendon. Had a patella repair with a tantalum patella used and my patella tendon repaired. After 8 weeks in a brace, no weight bearing and no bending I was able to commence rehab. My muscles have wasted and rehab is going really slowly, I have physio and hydro 3 times a week as well as at home exercises (really hard to do, pain and feeling like my muscles will snap) have been told it will take 6 months to gain full mobility and 12 months to be back at capacity. Has anyone else experienced this type of surgery and rehab? Feeling like I will never walk again 😒 Thanks everyone 😀

Offline Bmcnamara417

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 34
Re: Reposted advice pleas
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 09:36:45 AM »
Mya,

The fist mistake is your doctor waiting 8 weeks to start rehab.  I started 3 days after surgery.  By now your quad muscle and calf muscle are probably almost none existant.  There are ways to keep those strong even if locked out in brace. The only thing that is gonna fix that rubber band feeling is getting the Range of motion back in your knee and getting your quad strong enough to support your weight.  I am 5.5 weeks post surgery and I am rarely wearing my brace and I have been full weight bearing since 3 days after surgery.   There are two different thoughts on this surgery...one is to wait forever to start rehab....the other to get on it right away.  I did the exact same thing to my left knee in 2012.  I was back to work as a firefighter in 3 months, and I don't see any  reason that it will be different this time.  I have a good HS friend that ruptured his patellar tendon in 2011. His doctor waited to start rehab.  He complains all the time that his knee still isn't right.  And that has been the experiance I have had talking with others who had to wait to start rehab.  Best thing I can tell you is to work like crazy to build strength and to get that knee stretched out!

I have one of these.....and it has made a HUGE DIFFERENCE!
http://www.neurotechgroup.com/us/products/kneehab-xp

Offline diane72

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 109
Re: Reposted advice pleas
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 12:04:15 AM »
Hi Mya,

Brett pointed me over her to find you. Come on over to the ruptured patella tendon thread to join us. I had my surgery to repair my completely ruptured patellarr tendon in January too.

Believe me I went through some low points too. Before week 4 I couldn't even lift my foot off the ground to use the cructhes and so I had to use a wheelchair to even get to the bathroom. Thankfully a session with a private phsyio transformed things for me by getting that quad muscle to starting for the first time since I had my fall.

It does take alot of hard work to get the stretch built back in to the tendon and I find it is better to measure progess over weeks rather than days.
. Stay positive!

Diane
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 09:44:46 AM by diane72 »
Patellar tendon complete rupture,
12/01/2016,
Didn't notice my 4 year old's microscooter,planted my foot and went flying, schoolbag, workbag, catbowl, BANG!