Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL GRAFT RETEAR?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline dfount3

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL GRAFT RETEAR?
« on: March 25, 2016, 09:30:24 PM »
So I had acl surgery 4 weeks ago using a hamstring autograft. I've had little stumbles here and there that haven't worried me, but yesterday I had my biggest stumble. When walking up the stairs my crutch slipped and I fell forward. My recon. leg's foot(left knee) was planted on a stair when I fell forward. My body went forward enough to the point that I was on my recon. leg's tippy toes and it was probably the most weight I've put on it since surgery. As my leg was on its tippy toes I felt a crack/pop. I didn't feel any pain, nor do I have anymore swelling than I did prior to the stumble. I've heard it's possible to not feel pain when retearing an acl graft because of your nerves not being 100% but I'm not sure how true it is.  I didn't twist my knee and I didn't feel a buckle or "give out'. I know many will say to see my OS, but that doesn't happen for another 2 weeks. So I'm here to see who's experienced something similar or and has walked away with no damage to their graft. Also does anyone know if you would feel pain after retearing? Also, my knee feels stable, but then again I'm barely getting off crutches so my leg is still in a weak phase to begin with, so Im not sure if there's really a difference. Can the 'pop' be scar tissue maybe? Can you really tear an acl graft by extending your leg as I did? I'd appreciate any help. Thank you!

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: ACL GRAFT RETEAR?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 07:11:11 AM »
Nobody here can tell you one way or the other unfortunately, but I can tell you that we all have falls, slips, incidents, call them what you will and we all have this fear. However my surgeon has always reassured me by telling me that the graft is not "just any old rubbish spare part". The fixing is very secure and the graft is way stronger initially than any of us believe. If you heard a popping it could be any of a number of things, but as the graft is still not properly incorporated yet, it is highly unlikely you heard it "snap"

Stop stressing yourself and concentrate on doing your rehab protocol according to your surgeon's wishes or whatever it is your physio has you doing. Be guided by your body and simply keep the joint moving as much as you can. If you feel insecure then go back to using the crutches.

When you see your surgeon for a follow-up you need to recount the incident and also explain any changes you have noticed. Then let them examine you and reassure you.

Onwards and upwards. This recovery is not a straight line sprint to getting back to full functionality, it is a marathon that you keep plodding along, sometimes harder and slower than you want, sometimes faster and easier. Set yourself short term realistic goals as milestones and then tick them off as you pass them. It makes the rehab less frustrating in the long run.

Good luck  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

support