Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Failed microfracture...now what?  (Read 14745 times)

Offline Aly0108

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
Re: Failed microfracture...now what?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2017, 12:22:52 AM »
you got overconfident and overdid it.  As soon as it starts feeling better dont immediately try to increase your activity levels, just keep it stable and increase very slowly over time.  10 weeks is nothing.  If this happened a year out then it'd be a different story.  elevate it and do some cold/hot contrast (ending with cold)
Yeah totally agree. It feels better now so I dodged a bullet but I'm definetly gonna take it easy now.

Hello

I am very happy to hear that. I live in Calgary and I have knee caps issues. I am looking for a solution for my problem but nothing in this moment I didn't find. 

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2017, 03:19:13 PM »
3 months out and I can honestly say I feel better than Pre-OP. I've got close to full ROM and got full range on the bike. I've ditched my cool pimp cane and I'm walking right now close to normal. Another thing is the crepitus in my right knee when I bend it is pretty much non-existent now. Even my left knee which I had a scope on two years ago is feeling better. Stairs are fine but going downstairs I have to be careful. There's stiffness when I stand still for a while and some weakness in the joint, but not like before. Right now I'm gonna try to lose some weight to take it easy on the joints. Also Super Cissus really helped me, I noticed I turned a corner when I started taking it. Things are finally looking good after 4 years, just got to remember to take it easy and I still got a long way to go.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 03:24:04 PM by bizzybank »

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 09:38:06 PM »
Ugghh so this week hasn't gone well at all. After having a killer physio session I noticed quite a bit of stiffness in my quads and joints. Decided to put some biofreeze on and now I'm experiencing hypersensitivity in my knee. Did some rehab excercises right after and my knee swelled up like a grapefruit. Knee feels terrible right now so I'm wearing my unloader brace again to prevent further injury. Other knee swelled up too due to compensating on it now. Feelsbadman.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 04:21:41 PM by bizzybank »

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 05:55:33 PM »
So I'm seeing the doctor on Tuesday because the knee still swells. The weird thing is my knee feels good sitting down and the joint moves well. It might be more of a quad injury or hopefully weak vmo. It's weird to think a little cold cream and a standing leg curl with a stiff knee in the shower can cause me so much grief. I'm not proud of it, I had a panic attack the other day due to the stress. It was mostly due to the fact that this is my 5th knee surgery and my other knee flared up as well. I just started sleeping again after a week of just worrying about it. I have an MRI booked as well. Hopefully I'll have some answers and things will get better soon.

Offline Aly0108

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 10:15:48 PM »
So I'm seeing the doctor on Tuesday because the knee still swells. The weird thing is my knee feels good sitting down and the joint moves well. It might be more of a quad injury or hopefully weak vmo. It's weird to think a little cold cream and a standing leg curl with a stiff knee in the shower can cause me so much grief. I'm not proud of it, I had a panic attack the other day due to the stress. It was mostly due to the fact that this is my 5th knee surgery and my other knee flared up as well. I just started sleeping again after a week of just worrying about it. I have an MRI booked as well. Hopefully I'll have some answers and things will get better soon.

Bizzybank,

I understand you how do you feel.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 12:34:13 AM »
Yeah it just keeps getting worse and worse. I had another anxiety attack yesterday. It doesn't help that I can't sleep and stop thinking about it. My other knee is pretty messed up as well. I'm pretty much deadset that this one failed. I'm just wondering if there's options after this because my doc seemed like this was his last attempt at fixing me. Really in a bad place right now.

Offline plaidwandering

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 05:16:09 PM »
bizzy, I really understand these emotions and frustrations

a lot of people just don't get how these knee problems can utterly dominate your life for years

a psychiatrist familiar with injury distress may be helpful (I didn't for the knee, but did for anxiety about my cpap and it was a big help adapting)

Offline Aly0108

• Regular Poster
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 07:55:24 PM »
Yeah it just keeps getting worse and worse. I had another anxiety attack yesterday. It doesn't help that I can't sleep and stop thinking about it. My other knee is pretty messed up as well. I'm pretty much deadset that this one failed. I'm just wondering if there's options after this because my doc seemed like this was his last attempt at fixing me. Really in a bad place right now.

Bizzy, I have also knees problems and I live in Canada, I know our healthy systems. My problem started in 2015 in both knees, I went to my family doctor, family doctor sent me at physio, and I was worse and worse, I paid for physio a lot money, and I understood they are stupid. I came back to my family doctor to ask a referral to consult an Orthopedic, and he sais me that is not possible because only Sport Medicine can decide that if I need a OS consultation. I went to Sport Medicine, how do you think, he gave me Voltaren gel and do exercises with phisio. After 3 moths I came back to my Sport Medecin because my pain was very horrible, I ased him a referral for OS, and I was very happy when he sent me at OS, BUT, I was very shocked when I received a calling from hospital, that OS reject my referral and return back to my Sport Medicine.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2017, 02:22:10 AM »

Bizzy, I have also knees problems and I live in Canada, I know our healthy systems. My problem started in 2015 in both knees, I went to my family doctor, family doctor sent me at physio, and I was worse and worse, I paid for physio a lot money, and I understood they are stupid. I came back to my family doctor to ask a referral to consult an Orthopedic, and he sais me that is not possible because only Sport Medicine can decide that if I need a OS consultation. I went to Sport Medicine, how do you think, he gave me Voltaren gel and do exercises with phisio. After 3 moths I came back to my Sport Medecin because my pain was very horrible, I ased him a referral for OS, and I was very happy when he sent me at OS, BUT, I was very shocked when I received a calling from hospital, that OS reject my referral and return back to my Sport Medicine.
Totally relate. Have been having knee problems since 2012. Pretty much have consumed my life. So I saw my doctor today. He told me kinda what i needed to hear. That if I did shear off the repair then there is a revision that can possibly be done. Also could probably get a tibial tibuclar osteonomy procedure to offload the joint. He said he'd refer to me to one of his colleagues who is better at it. Still waiting on an MRI so will probably have to wait a couple weeks. It definitely helps knowing that there's still hope for me. I'm seeing also a psychiatrist because this ordeal has definitely brought to light some serious anxiety issues I have.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2017, 03:15:27 PM »
I lucked out and I'm getting my MRI done today. Hopefully my doc will see me soon to discuss our results. Trying to get my xrays done too. Just a question though, if I have to get another surgery how long would I have to wait medically speaking being 4 months post op? My doc said nothing can be done till at least 6-9 months. I don't think I can wait that long. I'm also looking to see if Saw and Broyles might be able to help me out. At this point I'll pay out of pocket to get it done faster. Every single step I take makes me nauseous and I can't sleep from the pain. 

Offline Aly0108

• Regular Poster
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2017, 10:30:07 PM »
I lucked out and I'm getting my MRI done today. Hopefully my doc will see me soon to discuss our results. Trying to get my xrays done too. Just a question though, if I have to get another surgery how long would I have to wait medically speaking being 4 months post op? My doc said nothing can be done till at least 6-9 months. I don't think I can wait that long. I'm also looking to see if Saw and Broyles might be able to help me out. At this point I'll pay out of pocket to get it done faster. Every single step I take makes me nauseous and I can't sleep from the pain.

Bizzibank

How are you doing? I hope do you feel better now. Yes, you can try to consult D. Saw. Now I am looking for Lipogems, but I am scared of all interventions in my knees. Now inside of my left knee cap   when I walk I feel my knee cap rubbing my meniscus or bone, I don't know exactly.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2017, 11:17:54 PM »
Bizzybank
I think contacting either of those surgeons is definitely worth looking into. They have treated failed microfractures successfully and yes I do believe you may need to wait 6 months post-microfracture surgery. Not sure why that is but just passing along word of mouth info. Each case is unique, of course.

Hey if I followed your posts correctly , it seems like things were coming along ok until a single physical therapy session ?  Is that correct ?  What were they haveing you doing that was new / different ? 
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
Just felt super stiff after doing some half squats. The next days later my anxiety kicked in and I tried doing some rehab excercises and my repair felt like it broke off from the medial side. All it took was a single leg curl that I did in normal days. Nothing felt the same after, my vmo had a huge bump and I would go limp when I put pressure in that area. I would get swelling in the knee  after walking  on it at that same point. The following days it just kept getting worse and worse and the panic attacks came making me pace and move my knee too much. I feel crippled right now, my knee cap feels weak and displaces at times. Really super depressed and my quality of life isn't good at all. I was afraid that I was bone on bone but  my doc told me I'm not and I have some cartilage growing in suprisingly. He says I do have options available even if I was bone on bone so that's refreshing I guess. I'm gonna see a psychologist to help me through my anxiety issues while trying to find a way to fix my knee.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2017, 03:27:51 PM »
Went to see my doc today for the MRI results and he told me they don't show anything to be worried about. There is cartilage growth and no signs of serious damage. I find that quite surprising because it feels so terrible right now. I have to wear a knee sleeve because the knee feels so weak and unstable. Also when I extend my leg, it feels like there's some space in the joint.  It also flares up after 5-10 minutes of walking on it. The thing at the back of my mind right now is that my other MRI from my last micro fracture was very positive as well despite my knee feeling like crap. When he finally did a scope he saw what was bothering me. So it looks like I'm gonna have to deal with the pain for awhile and hope it gets better. If this ends up failing again after a year I'm gonna have to pay Dr. Saw or Broyles a visit. I'm seriously tired of this crap. I don't know what's worse, having a terrible MRI or a good one and everyone telling you the pain is all in your head.

Offline Aly0108

• Regular Poster
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2017, 04:19:12 AM »
Went to see my doc today for the MRI results and he told me they don't show anything to be worried about. There is cartilage growth and no signs of serious damage. I find that quite surprising because it feels so terrible right now. I have to wear a knee sleeve because the knee feels so weak and unstable. Also when I extend my leg, it feels like there's some space in the joint.  It also flares up after 5-10 minutes of walking on it. The thing at the back of my mind right now is that my other MRI from my last micro fracture was very positive as well despite my knee feeling like crap. When he finally did a scope he saw what was bothering me. So it looks like I'm gonna have to deal with the pain for awhile and hope it gets better. If this ends up failing again after a year I'm gonna have to pay Dr. Saw or Broyles a visit. I'm seriously tired of this crap. I don't know what's worse, having a terrible MRI or a good one and everyone telling you the pain is all in your head.

Maybe you feel inflamation or swelling? Rest few days without walking to calm down inflammation. 

support