Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Failed microfracture...now what?  (Read 14744 times)

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Failed microfracture...now what?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 06:35:20 PM »
It's been a while since I last posted. The Canadian health system takes forever... So pretty much my doc did more research on the subject and decided that the results of Denovo are way too mixed at this point to perform on me, he too is hearing about a lot of people rejecting the grafts. He got a BMAC type procedure approved from the hospital board. The basic gist of it is, its an open knee surgery where he's gonna flip over my patella  and fill in the two defects in my trochlea and medial region and fill them with a bmac paste as well as fibrin products to act as a graft. I'm gonna be paying for the bmac at cost for like 900 plus cpm and crutches for 6 weeks. He said again that he can't 100 percent guarantee my surgery will work, but he said this is probably my best option. My surgery is booked Dec 5 so I'll look into maybe posting a post op diary around then.
I just had a pretty similar surgery. I also have a defect in the trochlear groove, however the surgery was arthroscopic.
BMAC was taken from my illiac crest while i was under anesthesia, and then arthroscopically placed to the defect mixed with the fibrin glue.
I'm surprised he wants to do open surgery. Usually patella flipping is required when an allograft or an autograft are placed to the trochlear groove area, that includes Denovo. Is he going to do that as well? Sounds like Denovo is ruled out.
Otherwise, ask him about arthroscopic procedure, recovery is much easier.

In my case it's been less than 3 months and I already feel better than before the surgery. Will give a detailed report once my new MRI is done which will be in 3-4 months time.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 07:49:08 PM »
It's been a while since I last posted. The Canadian health system takes forever... So pretty much my doc did more research on the subject and decided that the results of Denovo are way too mixed at this point to perform on me, he too is hearing about a lot of people rejecting the grafts. He got a BMAC type procedure approved from the hospital board. The basic gist of it is, its an open knee surgery where he's gonna flip over my patella  and fill in the two defects in my trochlea and medial region and fill them with a bmac paste as well as fibrin products to act as a graft. I'm gonna be paying for the bmac at cost for like 900 plus cpm and crutches for 6 weeks. He said again that he can't 100 percent guarantee my surgery will work, but he said this is probably my best option. My surgery is booked Dec 5 so I'll look into maybe posting a post op diary around then.
I just had a pretty similar surgery. I also have a defect in the trochlear groove, however the surgery was arthroscopic.
BMAC was taken from my illiac crest while i was under anesthesia, and then arthroscopically placed to the defect mixed with the fibrin glue.
I'm surprised he wants to do open surgery. Usually patella flipping is required when an allograft or an autograft are placed to the trochlear groove area, that includes Denovo. Is he going to do that as well? Sounds like Denovo is ruled out.

In my case it's been less than 3 months and I already feel better than before the surgery. Will give a detailed report once my new MRI is done which will be in 3-4 months time.
Yeah we discussed getting the bmac done arthroscopically. which he could do, but again promised no guarantee. The thing is, this is my fifth procedure in four years and with open surgery he could see all of the defects as well as kissing lesions I have and administer the bmac grafts where he deems appropriate. I already had open knee surgery with an ACL repair so I know what I'm getting myself into, lots of ice,netflix and vidya games. This seems to be as close to a silver bullet as I'll probably get. I'll be checking into your report to see how your surgery went, hopefully all is well.

Offline psny

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 05:25:11 AM »

Yeah we discussed getting the bmac done arthroscopically. which he could do, but again promised no guarantee. The thing is, this is my fifth procedure in four years and with open surgery he could see all of the defects as well as kissing lesions I have and administer the bmac grafts where he deems appropriate. I already had open knee surgery with an ACL repair so I know what I'm getting myself into, lots of ice,netflix and vidya games. This seems to be as close to a silver bullet as I'll probably get. I'll be checking into your report to see how your surgery went, hopefully all is well.

How are you doing post op BizzyBank?

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 04:31:38 PM »

How are you doing post op BizzyBank?

I got a call a week and a half ago saying there gonna have to postpone my surgery to mid January. The hospital couldn't order my materials in time for the procedure. It sounds like my surgeon's assistant dropping the ball yet again. Super frustrating as I was supposed to get this done in July.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 08:07:37 PM »
So just finished my surgery today. Apparently it went well. My defect in the trochlear area healed up to 90 percent. But there is some rough flayed cartilage over there. So he cleaned it up and smoothed it out. Then he filled in the defect with BMAC and fibrin glue. Also used some bmac to address some kissing lesions and smaller defects Pretty much my right knee is covered in BMAC now.We're gonna go super conservative right now with it. Two weeks I'm doing nothing, I'll be using a gameready machine. Then four weeks CPM after. I'm just happy that he was able to see that something was wrong in my knee and it wasnt in my head. The scans don't show everything and sometimes you have go for open knee surgery to see the whole story. Anyways I'll keep you guys posted in a couple weeks when I go see him.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 04:22:59 PM »
So I saw my doctor the other day and he's very pleased so far. Btw game ready machines are really amazing, after a couple days of using it, I was practically swelling and pain free and I could sleep fairly easily. I wish I had one for my ACL repair a couple years back. Now for the fun part, physio and 6 hours of CPM a day. I'm not gonna push it this time and stick to his protocol, I was going a little above and beyond with the flexion last time out which probably caused some complications with my last microfracture repair. I'm also on crutches for atleast another 4 weeks. So theres gonna be alot of Netflix and ps4 till I go back to work in two weeks. Anyways everything is going to plan and ill keep you guys posted when I hopefully start walking again.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
5 week update. My operated knee seems to be doing better. Swelling and pain is pretty much non existent now. ROM is at 90 so its where it should be. I have full extension too but I get a click whenever I lock out my knee during heel slides so it is a bit concerning. Could be quad weakness or the cartilage repair under the kneecap is still healing.

What's concerning me now is my left unoperated knee. It seems to be a bit sore and weak the last couple of days. My left hip has quite a bit of discomfort as well. Think it might be overcompensation on it. Gonna get some work done from physio on that side as well too I think.

Can't wait until two more weeks so I can get the go ahead to walk. Crutches and 6 hour CPM daily sucks.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »
Just finished seeing the doc and overall he was pretty pleased with my progress. Noticed there's a tad bit of swelling still left but its to be expected. Told him about the stiffness and clicking and he said its due to the NWB and should go away after I start walking and getting more ROM. He cleared me for walking but told me to take it easy. He said start with 1 crutch and then the cane and then I can take the brace off. How long did it take you guys to go from NWB to walking semi normally?

Offline psny

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 05:53:07 PM »
Just finished seeing the doc and overall he was pretty pleased with my progress. Noticed there's a tad bit of swelling still left but its to be expected. Told him about the stiffness and clicking and he said its due to the NWB and should go away after I start walking and getting more ROM. He cleared me for walking but told me to take it easy. He said start with 1 crutch and then the cane and then I can take the brace off. How long did it take you guys to go from NWB to walking semi normally?

What is the total length of time that you've been on crutches so far?

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 09:08:07 PM »

What is the total length of time that you've been on crutches so far?
7 weeks

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 03:56:31 PM »
8 and a half weeks out. So I've been walking the last couple days with a cane. Still got a limp but gait seems to be getting better. Woke up today and took a couple steps and felt some pain along the joint line, could be due to lack of sleep, I've been pretty stressed lately due to some domestic stuff. The weather is also pretty rainy so it could be that too. Range is getting better but very slowly. It's at 105 now. I bought an exercise bike off amazon and have been doing half moons back and forth with no resistance till I get full range back. Didn't expect this to take so long, after my microfracture I was walking pretty soon after six weeks. Still optimistic, its a marathon not a sprint and will keep you guys posted.

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 03:27:06 PM »
10 weeks out. So I'm starting to wean myself off the cane. Went out last Saturday for a birthday party and everything seemed to be fine the day after. One thing I have been noticing lately is when I wake up after a long sleep or nap my operated knee becomes very stiff. When I bend it I hear a loud pop and crack and then its perfectly fine. No pain or anything its just unusual I guess. I still don't have full ROM and I can't go downstairs yet but physio is helping with that. I'll keep plugging away and will keep you updated.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:43:03 PM by bizzybank »

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »
It's funny how a week later everything can change with cartilage injuries. Went out last weekend and was on my feet for most of it and the knee now feels super weak and stiff. Even wearing pants is uncomfortable. I'm hoping its just due to overuse. Kinda down right now because I thought I was making progress. Gonna see my physio today and if it doesn't get better by the end of the week I'm contacting my OS.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 07:24:12 PM by bizzybank »

Offline diesiel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 11:50:33 PM »
you got overconfident and overdid it.  As soon as it starts feeling better dont immediately try to increase your activity levels, just keep it stable and increase very slowly over time.  10 weeks is nothing.  If this happened a year out then it'd be a different story.  elevate it and do some cold/hot contrast (ending with cold)

Offline bizzybank

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2017, 10:48:43 PM »
you got overconfident and overdid it.  As soon as it starts feeling better dont immediately try to increase your activity levels, just keep it stable and increase very slowly over time.  10 weeks is nothing.  If this happened a year out then it'd be a different story.  elevate it and do some cold/hot contrast (ending with cold)
Yeah totally agree. It feels better now so I dodged a bullet but I'm definetly gonna take it easy now.