Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Please help- I am really scared and down  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Shahid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Please help- I am really scared and down
« on: February 20, 2004, 09:08:45 AM »
Help Needed to Overcome Knee Problem

I was a perfectly healthy 46 year old male person till the fateful day in September 2003. Till September 2003, I use to enjoy life and did cycling, swimming and horse riding almost every alternate days. Then I took a fateful 10 days bicycling vacation on my own in the Hindukush mountain in the northern parts of Pakistan. I cycled through wilderness in the beautiful mountain and valley for 10 days and covered a distance of 600 kms. I was feeling on top of the world after the vacation but then about one month latter I started feeling pain in my right knee and this pain became so acute that I was not able to climb staircases, however, while walking on plain ground I was perfectly comfortable.
I consulted a doctor and he told me that I have over used my knee and there may be some damage in the cartilage and in medical term he referred it as &#8220;osteochondintis&#8221; of right knee and advised me to go for arthroscopy- which according to him was a simple procedure and one recovers within few weeks.
On November 18, 2003, I went for arthroscopy ( he did not ask me to get an MRI before arthroscopy) and during arthroscopy he shaved the cartilage slightly &#8211; he also found peripheral tear of posterior horn of medial meniscus &#8211; but he did not removed it as according to him it was very minor tear. He then asked me to take ortho-flex tablet daily for cartilage build-up and start quad and tensor exercise with physiotherapist.
From November 18 to December 18, 2003 (30days) - I started doing physiotherapy and exercises plus ultrasound for four weeks but my quadriceps muscle was not improving and I was not able to put weight on the right leg- so I thought the physio is not helping me and I changed the physio.
From December 18 to January 8, 2004 (21 days)  : The new physio treated me for following;
a.      Cryotherapy 15 min both knee .
b.      Interferential therapy, right quadriceps for 20 mins.
c.      T.E.N.S for 10 mins on right knee.
d.      Quadriceps drill by weight upto 3.5 kgs for both quads.
e.      Stepper for 50 steps.
f.      Stationary Cycling for 15 mins.

This greatly helped and I was feeling less pain and more strength and was also able to walk for about 15-20 minutes.
I then joined my job which is a desk job in another city so I have to discontinue the last physio , however, I joined a new physio in Islamabad and kept doing the quadriceps drill by weight and got to 5 kg and also cycling for about 20 minutes . Still I was not able to stretch my walking more than 20 minutes without pain on the back side of both knee and that was frustrating- I thought that my walking posture has gone wrong and so I started walking on treadmill along with other exercise. This instead of improving has now worsen the pain and now I feel pain in both the knees ( the left one I think is because of overstress during this 3 months period- that what my doctor also says but I am now not too sure ) even while taking a few steps. I consulted two orthopedic surgeon and both are of the opinion that there might be some inflammation inside the knee which is causing me pain (It&#8217;s a burning sort of pain and only in walking). I don&#8217;t feel any pain while cycling or quads drill by weight exercises. The doctor has advised me to take VIOX-25 mg for 15 days and then see them again after 15 days i.e March 6, 2004  while continuing with my exercises.
However, now its 3 months to the fateful arthroscopy, I am scared, worried and depressed. Can anyone of you please help me in telling, what is wrong with my knee and what can I do to be able to walk back normally in my life.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Please help- I am really scared and down
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 03:45:22 PM »
Hey !!

Welcome to this board !! Well, I'm so sorry to hear about your problems. Knee are I'm afraid like that, if you get problem with one knee start limping often the other knee also starts trouble. I think you must be patient. Is it inflammation caused by an overused knee it takes time to heal. You did the right thing to consult more then one doc. I know it's though but these kneeproblems aren't solved in a day or 2. So continue excercise and take the Viox. If it won't help I'm sure your doc will continue helping you. Otherwiese get a new opinion. But don't give up. We are many here going through the same and it's a though fight to get back in shape again.
Wish you luck.

Hugs from nettan  ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 03:46:16 PM »
I forgot one thing. You can read more about overused knees under that topic.    ::)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 05:00:45 PM »
Shahid-
I am so sorry to hear of your knee troubles.  I agree with Nettan in that you should deffinately read, and post some questions in the over use problems of the knee section.  You will get some good feedback from this area as well as in that thread.

Have any of your OS's brought up the possibility of sinovitis or bursitis?  Is that why they want you taking the Vioxx?  

Is your knee locking or giving out on you, or is there any grinding or crunching type sounds when you are active?  I think the best advice that I can give you is to write down any questions you have and take them to the doctor with you when you go in March.  This is what I do so that I won't forget anyhting important.  I have also started a "knee" journal and am writing down any occurance with this knee so that when I see my OS he will be able to know wxactly what's been going on.

I wish you the best of luck, and releif with your knees!
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline Shahid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 07:53:36 AM »
Dear Nettan and ozzybug,
Thanks for the reply and encouragement. I will check more about overused knee. OS has not said anything about  sinovities or burnities- he just told me that Viox is good to control inflammation and pain. However, next time , when I will see him, I will ask more. Hope we all come out of this.
love, shahid

support