Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Frustrated, have to vent.  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Tomc1947

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Frustrated, have to vent.
« on: March 14, 2016, 11:56:22 AM »
First post, it's nice to find a spot with people who understand.

First the bad:  On 1/20/16, slipped on some ice and tore my Right Quad tendon.
 I'm a Vet and for the last 15 years I've been using the VA as my primary care source.  I used the VA in Chicago for years and NEVER a complaint.  (BTW a few years ago they saved my life-neuro surgery) Chicago VA is a teaching hospital and they access whatever is needed, and I NEVER had to wait for care.
I've since moved to Indiana and am having a totally different experience.  Went to the ER, x=rays, pain meds, crutches and a knee brace.  Next day, I get a call saying I need a MRI;after explaining MRI"s are a no-no due to my hearing implant, scheduled a CT scan(5 days later >:(). Got the scan, a few days later, had to see another Doc, who finally referred me to a private Orthopedic Hospital on 2/10.  Surgery was scheduled for 2/15.  Went to the pre-op physical and a cardiac issue surfaced which required more testing. Normally, the hospital does this, but- guess what- the VA said they wouldn't pay for them!  So, had to get the cardio clearance thru the VA.  Long story short, finally had surgery on 3/8.

The Good:  Surgery went very well.  The tendon didn't retract as far as expected and there was very little scaring, so they didn't have to use cadaver tendons for the repair.  Surgery on the 8th, home on the 10th.

Finally getting along without the pain meds, good color, not much swelling.  Am having a little numbness in my foot, but it comes and goes, depending on my position.  get the staples out next week and a adjustable brace, instead of this silly immobilizer.

And the best, I think all the clearances from the VA finally got approved(I say "I think", because it's the VA.) :)

Offline Anna:-)

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Frustrated, have to vent.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 10:42:57 PM »
How are you getting on now? I think it's been 2 and half months since your op now so hope it is going well.

Hope you are feeling less frustrated and more positive now.

8)

support