Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral meniscus tear and medial meniscus transplant right before wedding???  (Read 1960 times)

Offline dukeofearl28

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi there,

I am in a tricky spot, and looking for any advice. I have a torn acl, a small tear in my lateral meniscus, I am missing a large part of my medial meniscus, and have a big hole in my tibia from a widening tunnel...I talked to Dr. LaPrade at Steadman, Dr. Stone in SF, and my doctor on the east coast, and all agree that I'm going to have to get a two stage surgery: bone graft first, then ACL and meniscus transplant after. That is all good with me. The only trick is that Dr. LaPrade said I need to get my lateral meniscus repaired ASAP to make sure it doesn't tear any more--which means no walking for 6 weeks and a more intense recovery compared to just the bone graft. The only catch is that I am getting married in two months, so I will be cutting it REALLY REALLY close to my wedding, and I do NOT want to be encumbered on the big day. In a twist, I actually feel pretty good right now, and am only experiencing some buckling, etc. My questions for you all are :

1) Do I really need to repair the lateral meniscus ASAP? Or can I wait 2.5 months until after the wedding?

2) What doctor would you recomend going with? I'm between Dr. Stone (and dealing with the insurance thing myself), Dr. LaPrade, or Dr. Cole in Chicago. Any opinions?

3) How long before you can fly for all of these?

I know that my doctors can answer most of these questions, but they're all telling me different things and they're so hard to get ahold of! Any advice would be really appreciated!!! Thanks so much.

Hx:
ACL 2012--hamstring autograph, same leg
ACLr 2015--patellar tendon autograph, same leg
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 10:07:33 PM by dukeofearl28 »
ACL, hamstring autograph, 6/12
ACL-R, patellar autograph, 4/14
ACL-R-R (patellar allographt), medial and lateral OATS, medial meniscus transplant, lateral meniscus repair, 11/16

Offline mulberrysdream

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
I'm assuming by now you've probably gone through with the surgery with one of these doctors?

My advice is go with Laprade. I'm 11 months post MT and OATs with him. Maybe in hindsight I would've also consulted Stone, but I think no matter what I'd have gone with Laprade. I also happen to live down the street from the Steadman Clinic....and stupidly had 2 surgeries with a different surgeon out here initially.

I can't even imagine getting this done near the time of a wedding...I hope it all went well!
Right Knee-
MT Menisectomy, Chondroplasty, 10/16
MT Repair, Chondroplasty, Clean out+ BMAC/PRP7/16
Meniscus Transplant & OATs 8/15
Notchplasty,Osteophyte Removal,Prep for MT/OATs 7/15
loose body removal, menisectomy- 4/15
Menisctomy, loose body removal1/14
Lateral Release08
Meniscus Repar 07

Offline dukeofearl28

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hi!

Weird--just checked this site for the first time in three months and saw your post! Yes I went with LaPrade. Really happy about that. He ended up just doing the bone graft, so I was pretty much fine for my wedding thank god. I had a brace under my dress but no one could see :) My lateral meniscus was torn but he said it would hold until the second stage of the surgery.

I am nervous for the MT!! I've been trying to build up my leg as much as possible and get great shape, but it's the mental part that I'm afraid of. The recovery sounds brutal...

I'm getting OATS also--did you have advanced arthritis? I'm stage 3 right now, and the stiffness related to that is what's actually causing me the most problems. If you did have arthritis, did the MT help? How are you doing now?
ACL-R-R (patellar allographt), medial and lateral OATS, medial meniscus transplant, lateral meniscus repair, 11/16

Offline mulberrysdream

• Regular Poster
Hey!!!

Funny how things work out sometimes ;) Glad to hear you went with Laprade though and that things have gone well so far!!! And thankfully you didn't need the MT/OATs before your wedding!!!

I have severe OA. Grade 4 Chondromalcia where I had my OATs, and grade 2-3 throughout most of my knee :( I'm 25.

I'm 11 months out and just learned two days ago that I tore my meniscus transplant...so Laprade is coming in on his day off next week to operate on me to get this done ASAP. I thought I just had some scar tissue buildup that was causing me problems, or possibly another cartilage defect that had gotten worse, i was not expecting to learn that i tore my transplant :( But if anyone in the world can fix me...it's Laprade.

I will say I am extremely glad I got the OATs and MT last year, but it is an extremely long and absolutely brutal recovery. The first few weeks post op was a nightmare of pain. I didn't get a nerve block...i'm probably the only person on the planet to get a MT/OATs and not get a nerve block, but i was worried about nerve damage and figured I could handle the pain after 5 previous surgeries. I was wrong. Nothing could have ever prepared me for that level of pain. But! I made it through, and after a few weeks things really began to improve. I have a big history of swelling and ended up getting my knee drained multiple times, which then caused more pain/slowing down on PT.

The recovery is like a roller coaster, and you just need to try to mentally prepare for that. Don't expect it all to go smoothly, it will be brutal, you will hate it, but you will get through it and hopefully (like I have) feel a DRASTIC improvement. I was straight bone on bone before with NO medial meniscus. Even the pain I was feeling after surgery (even months and months after) was much better than the bone-on-bone pain that made even walking short distances miserable.

I hope my response makes some sense...please feel free to message me if you have any more questions. I know I had tons of questions last year, and still do all the time....so please reach out! I'd love to be of any help!

Next week I'll find out how bout the OA has progressed in other areas of my knee where the OATs wasn't performed. I think the OATs has been really sucessful, but my OA is so bad that it definitely makes it more complicated. Laprade says I'm one of the worst knees he's seen in someone my age :/.

I will keep you updated next week after my surgery about what they find! The MT has definitely helped, and even though it's now torn...i'd do it all over again if i were in the same position.

Hope that helps/makes some sense.

-Ben
Right Knee-
Lateral Release08
Meniscus Repar 07

Offline dukeofearl28

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Oh man I'm really sorry to hear about your tear. And holy smokes that sounds so intense. I CAN'T believe you didn't get a nerve block. I had a bone graft three months ago and the only did one nerve block in the front (apparently they normally do two) and I thought I was going to die. And bone grafts are nothing compared to what you did.

I'm 26 and have been pretty limited since my first ACL tear in 2012, so I'm willing do do anything to make it better. We're too young!!

I got your PM but I can't respond because I don't have 20 messages yet. I would love to get in touch with you and pick your brain. If you're okay with it, would you PM me your email address so I can get in touch?

I think my PT was Tyler but not positive.

Thanks for getting back to me!

Offline mulberrysdream

• Regular Poster
In hindsight I don't know why i didn't just go with the nerve block...because i have soooo much nerve damage from the surgery alone haha. I guess I figured after 5 surgeries, nothing could be too much worse than what I'd been through....but like I said, I was dead wrong.

Everyone tried telling me I was crazy, and still tells me I was crazy. But..on the other hand, the nerve block only buys a couple of days, and then it hurts as soon as it's over. So there's no way to totally beat it. I sent you a message with all my info. Definitely get in touch! It's nice to have people to relate to over this craziness.

All of my issues started when I shredded my meniscus 3 years ago (after already having 2 surgeries 8-9 years ago), and having a really bad surgery out here at a different clinic in Vail, where i had all of my medial meniscus taken out...and was told I had 50% left.
Right Knee-
Lateral Release08
Meniscus Repar 07

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
I am moving this conversation now into the more general section.
--
KNEEguru

support