Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: soft tissue's sensitive???  (Read 882 times)

Offline tednkris

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
soft tissue's sensitive???
« on: February 20, 2004, 07:24:34 AM »
I'm new to this board and i hope someone can help me in one final visit with my os he told me surgery may do more damage than good b/c my soft tissue seems to scar too much when they go in (they have gone in twice now). His solution was none at all. He says to take viox and that's it. There must be an explaination why i get in so much pain. where do i go from here? Listen to the doctor? or hunt down more info and if so where can i start looking? good luck to everyone on there own search.

Kristy

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
Re: soft tissue's sensitive???
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 08:35:28 AM »
Kristy,

Cruise down the the "soft tissue healing problems" section and see the numerous posts about arthrofibrosis/scar tissue/adhesions  (all the same thing).  

What your doctor is really saying is that he doesn't know what to do now.  I've been in the situation and can only recommend seeing a surgeon who specializes in scar tissue and patello-femoral issues.  They are quite rare in the US.  I've done exensive research on the topic trying to find a good doctor, and really only a handful of names came up repeatedly.

Where do you live in the US?

Be sure to go down to the following threads on soft tissue healing problems and read through the pages of posts.  It should be a good educational experience and help you realize that you are not alone--but you do have a relatively rare problem and many docs don't know how to deal with it.

As for how to proceed, I had a dialogue with another member about that--you can follow our thread here:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/cgi-bin/KNEEtalk/YaBB.pl?board=PF_joint;action=display;num=1077214902

Heather
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 08:36:01 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline jeanie

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 01:04:03 PM »
Hello Kristy,

It's a scary feeling when the OS says they can do nothing for you. The same happened to me in December. It makes you feel written off and abandoned. Friends and relatives, however well meaning, often don't understand the impact a malfunctioning knee has on your quality of life.  As Heather, has already said don't give up. There may be someone else who can help you. Seek out all the advice and information you can, and try out all possible options.  It's your knee and you need to make as good a recovery as possible . Wishing you the very best !!
Jeanie  
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 01:06:04 PM by jeanie »
Ski-ing 04/ 02. patella dislocation ruptured ACL MCL,  meniscus.10/02 MRI 11/02; ,menisectomy 2/03 MUA cortisone; haematoma/3/03MUA ;8/03 menisectomy,lysis adhesions 4/04 RSD/CRPS  2/05 Cortisone injection 11/05 lysis adhesions - infection 4/06 Botox injex hamstrings

Offline tednkris

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 05:04:57 AM »
Thank you so much for your responses! I'm sure you know how great it feels to have someone to understand what's going on ! This sounds pitiful but it's great to know I have a condition. I have actually looked at the doc and asked if the pains all in my head thankfully he told me he was certain i was in pain. Looking at all of your postings makes me realize i really need to be closer attention to what  notes the doctors make I am not half as knowledgable as the rest of you are. i know for a fact in my first surgery they though i tore my acl only to discover i also tore my mcl. The only parts i remember and understand is they did a lateral release and medial reefing. My knee had subluxed. I believe what he said to me was that there was so much damage done that he had to tack down my knee just to keep it in place, hence i needed alot of cleaning up. The next year i was in just as much pain as before my first surgery the new doc didn't even want to go in i told he i just knew in my gut we had to. when I came out he said it was a good thing we did do it i had scar tissue wrapped aound my tendons and he had to clean up from my first surgery. There were alot of other things everyone has mentioned that has rung a bell to. I'm really glad to know i can vent and talk with all of you
Thanks

support