Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Long term pain on the top left side of the left knee.  (Read 600 times)

Offline arnkas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Long term pain on the top left side of the left knee.
« on: March 25, 2016, 02:29:40 AM »
Hey.
I have had a problem in the knee for about 6 or 7 years now (Im currently 22.). It's not interfering with my normal life at all, but i do martial arts and it interfers with some movements and all kinds of stretching excercises so it limits me alot.

It is located along the left side of my left kneecap, i cannot reach it with my fingers. The pain only lingers for a few seconds after the position of the knee is changed to a more normal position. Doing the side split i feel it a great deal. If i put it on the table infront of me, bend the knee slightly, about 30degrees from stretched out, and rotate it outwards i also feel it a great deal.

On the top of my left knee in what i believe is the fastening of the vastus lateralis, from pictures, and on the left side of the rectus femoris, i have alot of tissue thats painfull to massage, it feels like scartissue and its painful to massage with moderate force. Its also extremely uneven and feels like multiple knots, not one big one.
I have no idea if that is related at all but it might be, but i didnt notice it before the last year, not that i really searched for it before.

Something else is that my hips are really, really tight and strong from kicking way to much. I don't know if thats related either.

It does not hurt while running, or jumping. Its basically when rotating the knee/leg, or using force to stop a rotation when standing on that leg. OR in the split. also hurts when sitting on a chair, placing the left foot on my right thigh, and pushing the knee down. or sitting in the lotus position.
Any advice? Currently my plan is to massage the painfull tissue on my lateralis, and see if i can improve that part. Else im pretty clueless. so is my doctor, but i have an inkling he doesn't know very much about sports specific injuries.

Offline arnkas

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Long term pain on the top left side of the left knee.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 02:34:07 AM »
Also totally unrelated to this injury, i suffered a hard hit to the front of my knee 1 year ago. The knee stiffened up and it hurt to walk for a few weeks, and a bit longer before i could run. Now that pain is all gone except for something in the back of my knee that flares up in some motions. If i sit down with my heels pressed as close to my body as i can, and stand up its intense for 10 seconds then slowly fades. This pain lingers for few days feeling like normal muscle soreness then its gone till the next time i do something similar.

support