Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee transplant from a donor?  (Read 853 times)

Offline Gnarus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee transplant from a donor?
« on: March 06, 2016, 04:47:08 PM »
Hi,
It's my understanding that a meniscus can be donated to someone else...or a heart or any organs for that matter. Lets say a knee is too much damaged from OA to receive cartilage transplant and the patient is also too young for TKR or PKR, then can someone receive a knee transplant from a donor?

If not, why? ???

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I can't find anything on Google except for prosthetics.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 04:50:12 PM by Gnarus, Reason: correction »

Online vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 409
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Knee transplant from a donor?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 11:15:56 PM »
I imagine transplanting such a large amount of bone would be extremely difficult, given bones are full of bone marrow, which is full of stem cells. Rejection would almost be inevitable, followed by amputation. Or worse.. And then the complexities or attaching nerves, muscles, tendons in an extremely large and complex joint. It may come a long way in the future (hand transplants have been done, although long term success is unknown), but I expect longer lasting prosthetic joints will come first thus rendering no need for bone transplants. And finding a donor joint the exact same size, same blood and tissue type is also highly unlikely.

You can have a replacement when young, although if wanting to be active you would need to expect a revision at some point, althoygh with improvements in technology not necessarily

A meniscus is small and avascular, not full of stem cells.  And donor meniscus transplants don't seem especially successful

All interesting stuff though. Bit Frankenstein though! (There was a particularly grim episode of Criminal Minds where someone was trying leg transplants from live donors  :o )
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 11:18:40 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Gnarus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 12:20:11 AM »
I appreciate the reply, thank you.
As for my part in the question, I've already had 10 surgeries in both knees and I'm just 39. Disability doesn't want to help. So you know, with time desperation settling in you tend to get these "frankensteinish" outside the box ideas.
The sad fact is, I have bills and someone else to support. I either need financial support...or to be functional "now", not in 20 years.

Offline tlkkkk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 04:54:55 PM »
well there is talk of transplanting an entire body, i.e given someones head a new body.  But if you want to translant the entire knee toyr lower leg will need to be severed from your upper leg and the new knee put in the middle, so perhaps some crazy Dr somwhere will try it, but I'd rather not go first

Offline tlkkkk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 01:10:02 PM »

support