Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Seeking answers and support  (Read 869 times)

Offline mm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Seeking answers and support
« on: February 20, 2004, 03:32:14 AM »
Three weeks ago, whilst playing indoor netball, I came down really bad - here's what happened:  I was running and came to a fast stop landing down hard on my left leg, now I didn't think I landed particulary strange or twisted, but experience two distinctly load (could be heard over ten metres away from me) 'cracks' one after the other, I fell to the ground after my leg gave way and experienced acute pain.  I could not stand, move, bend or even lift my leg up without pain.  I came to the emergency department , where xrays were done and fractures/breaks etc were ruled out.  Went to my GP where she believed I had done damage to the cartilage and referred me to a physio.  Not ruling out an injured ACL, but the injury to both my doctor and my physio believed it to be the medial? mensicle?  I was on crutches for around a week, now I am able to weight bear and get around.  I find I am fine until the knee is bent greatly (like deep knee crunches) or when the knee is extended fully.  I have not experienced any locking or giving away since - but feel it's not improving and i'm walking with a consistant limp.  I am a very active person with no previous knee problems (yet I have had my fair share of ankle worries)  Can anybody tell me how long I may be looking at before I see significant improvement and if they can recommend any exercises etc for me to do.  It is just really depressing me at the moment.  Any feedback, no matter how grim, will be appreciated.

Thanks
Mel
(Australia)

Offline Worn_out

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Seeking answers and support
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 05:53:00 AM »
There are so many things that can happen to the knee joint. If the pain persits have your medical practitioners send you for an MRI. ;)

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 05:06:17 PM »
Mel-
I would have to agree with getting an MRI.  Although they aren't always the best at showing meniscal tears, they are wonderful for finding problems with ligament damage.

Please do not let this go on for too long because if there is something bad going on in there, it's best taken care of early- before it might cause permament problems in the future.  

Let us know how things are going!  We are all here for you!
Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 04:34:42 AM »
Mel,

Medial meniscus sounds like the term your doctor used. Here's a link to help you:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_04_meniscus/mechanisms.html

Be sure to look in the bar on the right side of the page and then follow all of the links to the sections referenced there. You'll be an educated patient when you finish, thanks to the fine efforts of our hero, the KNEEguru!

LizL
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March