Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Fractured patella ... dealing with Crohn's Disease while immobile  (Read 638 times)

Offline owithurts

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi all,

I'm new so I hope this post ends up where people can see it.

12 days ago I had surgery to fix my fractured patella.  My leg is now in a immobilizer and I've been slowly, very slowly, learning to use crutches with physio.

I also have Crohn's Disease, which is an inflammatory bowel disease, with a key symptom being diarrhea.  So you might imagine where this is going.  Not pretty.

They sent me home from the hospital last Friday.  It was a complete disaster.  I live in a tiny apartment and there really wasn't room to use the crutches.  I had and still have the most difficulty going from a seated position to standing.  My couch and bed are low; much lower than hospital furniture.

So my and my partner tried a bedpan and a urinal and it really was a terrible mess.  I ended up trying to crutch to the toilet and I had a fall which ended me with a sore back and lying in my own mess.  It was quite traumatic.

Anyway, I was readmitted to the hospital and I've done a bit more with physio, but the best solution they have really offered is to rent me a commode chair.  I still don't know how I will go from my bed to standing to get to the commode chair.

I am just wondering if anyone else has had this experience either with or without Crohn's Disease and if you had any advice on how to manage.

My thanks in advance for your replies.

Offline Callaottawa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fractured patella ... dealing with Crohn's Disease while immobile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 04:22:48 PM »
Try a walker with wheels at the front.  You can rent them from any major drug store chain that carries home care equipment.  I was afraid of crutches and the walker is very stable and I can get up from bed or a chair or the toilet with very little difficulty.  I also use a belt which I loop over the injured foot to lift the leg as needed.  Hope this is helpful for you.

support