Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Flare-ups of pain  (Read 852 times)

Offline sparrowhawk

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Flare-ups of pain
« on: March 02, 2016, 05:27:35 AM »
I have chondromalacia patellae and last Saturday I experienced what could be considered a flare-up. I'm usually in no pain (with sometimes the odd twinge or discomfort, especially if I've been sitting for too long a period). I didn't do anything really to have caused the pain -- no super long periods of sitting, no kneeling, etc -- but it was intense to the point that I couldn't really walk initially and sitting and kneeling were very difficult. Even lying down in bed was painful. The pain lasted until Tuesday and I had to resort to wearing a knee guard to take some pressure off.

Just wondering what causes this kind of thing, whether it's common, and what can be done to ease it.
Injury to right knee '11.
Diagnosed patella effusion & prob. sprain '12.
Re-injured knee '12. Suspected meniscus tear/MCL injury. Pain cleared.
Re-injured knee '14. OS suspected meniscus tear. MRI shows effusion, small plica & chrondomalacia patellae. No evident meniscus injury, likely MCL sprain.

Offline chondroSchmondro

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Flare-ups of pain
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 05:01:11 AM »
Hello, I scuffed the cartilage under my patella (chondro delamination) and my pain symptoms sound like yours. Most of the time, no discomfort...but flareups of pain with exercise that exert the knee or long periods of sitting which resolve after a few days. I've found that when my physio tapes my knee cap a bit to side to avoid rubbing against the damage, it really helps and gives the knee inflammation a chance to calm down. You might want to try having a physio tape your knee cap and teaching you how to do it on your own and see if it helps.

Offline iwillwalkagain

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: Flare-ups of pain
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 08:34:49 PM »
check out this blog.  Many people describe PFPS flare ups and there have been many good discussions on the topic there.  Good luck.

http://savingmyknees.blogspot.com/

support