Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ossur Unloader One knee brace  (Read 4789 times)

Offline Bdavid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Ossur Unloader One knee brace
« on: February 26, 2016, 06:31:30 PM »
Just wondered if there was anyone out there who has 'recently' bought and is trying the Ossur Unloader One knee brace.  I can't seem to find any reviews, particularly those from UK, which are recent i.e within last 12 months. Am trying to decide whether to purchase this Ossur knee brace but as it's lots of £'s, I want to do my homework and try and get some 'independent' feedback from people already using it.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
Re: Ossur Unloader One knee brace
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 11:17:20 PM »
Hi Bdavid

I have an Ossur Unloader One brace. I am in the UK. I have used it on and off for a number of years.

What do you want to know, I will answer any questions based on my experience.

WD

Offline Bdavid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 08:10:52 PM »
Hi there

I am considering getting a brace as I am in pain and have osteoarthritis in my knee. I'm only 53, play a lot of golf, don't intend a knee replacement yet, and just wondered if the brace worked as well as results / research apparently shows?
Am going to have to buy one and at £490, altho' I have a 30 day refund policy, really want it to help reduce the pain.
Do you find it helps reduce pain yourself? Have you notoced a marked change in any pain you were experiencing?
How bad was your pain initially befor you got it?

Thanks in advance

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 07:04:35 PM »
My background is I have had OA for a number of years, had two arthroscopies, and a high tibial osteotomy in 2011. Unfortunately although the HTO has aligned the leg beautifully I am still getting bone on bone pain. I have been told I need a partial knee replacement or a full one according to what is found. However I donít feel I am ready for this and am trying every option before I head down this route.
I was prescribed an Ossur Unloader brace by my OS in 2013, so I did not have to pay for it, the wonderful NHS paid. I was prepared to pay for anything that relieved the pain though.
In 2013-2014 I wore the brace when exercising or walking slightly further, and found that it worked well, however I have found that you have to wear it tight in order for it to work, and on many occasions has rubbed the skin, and then not been able to wear it until it healed. I started to wear it over a thin layer and found it was much better.
I was told not to wear it in 2014 and stopped wearing it, I am now wearing it again, and had it refitted by an Orthotist recently and my leg has had a reaction to the padding in it and have had half the lower leg padding taken out and changed. I am off again to the Orthotist to get the rest of the padding changed as I had more reactions to the padding. I wore it over a pair of leggings last weekend and it worked fabulously, pain gone.
For me the brace is fab when I am wearing it, bear in mind that you will need extra room in the leg of your trousers to cope with it, it should be fitted by a trained Orthotist, it is not particularly comfortable when sitting down, however the pain relief outweighs the problems. After wearing it, the following day the pain is not as bad, so that too is good. It does take a while to get use to it.

Any more questions please ask.

Offline Bdavid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 09:06:28 AM »

Thanks very much for that info.  Like you say, I also am willing to do / pay for anything to relieve the pain, and reckon the brace is worth a shot.
Will ask if I think of any other Q's.

Cheers

Offline Bdavid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 09:28:49 AM »
Actually.............................2 Q's

Were you told to stop wearing the brace in 2014 because of the rubbing on your skin.

You say it's not comfortable when sitting down but is it ok when doing activities, or is it restrictive in any way do you feel?  Do you yourself do any walking, running, golfing, cycling etc?

Thanks v much again.............you've been helpful......I appreciate it

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 11:09:12 PM »
I was not told to stop wearing the brace because of the rubbing, it was because one of the Registrar's decided that I didn't need it any more!

The brace is only uncomfortable when sitting as it comes halfway up your thigh and as it is fairly solid it pushes into your leg and your leg is at a slightly different height as the other. It is fine when in the gym, or walking or standing for any length of time. In order for it to work, the straps need to be tight and it does feel strange to start with having two straps across the back of the knee which pull tight when you straighten you leg. It is not uncomfortable but takes some getting use to.

I have now had all the lower leg padding changed and it is a lot more comfortable, so ensure you have the brace fitted properly and have continued access to them should you have any problems with it.

Hope all goes well and let me know how you get on.

Offline Slippyknee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
  • LK dislocation, lcl laxity, pcl torn twice,
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »
That's when Ifind my brace  uncomfortable,  sitting down I find the straps annoying on the back of my thigh,  I use a neoprene undersleeve in winter & tubigrip summer..
I know I don't use the ossur one brace but gave been in some sort of brace daily for five years now..
And for the most part don't notice it anymore..
It does take a few weeks to get used to wearing one but if used correctly they're a great help..
LK dislocation,  cartlege trim, 20% lateral meniscus removed
Lcl laxity,  pcl tears, mcl tear

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 05:35:30 PM »
The Ossur Unloader One brace is not designed to wear anything under it, so although it sounds like a good idea, I was told not to put anything underneath. As the brace straps need to be tight across the back of the knee in order to offload it, it would not work properly if you had neoprene or tubigrip underneath. Shame!!
Had the padding changed and now it's more comfortable.

Offline Bdavid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 04:38:08 PM »
Thanks WD
Having brace fitted tomorrow,

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 09:32:45 PM »
Have you had your brace fitted now, how are you finding it? It does take a bit of getting use to.

Offline Bdavid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 11:55:52 AM »
Yes, fitted ok thanks, and pretty comfortable. Wore it for a couple of hours for first few days to break it in. Then on day 4 I wore it to play golf and it was perfect. No sore knee during my game, nor pain or swelling after, which is the first time in ages. I was really pleased.
Except...................one of the straps had started rubbing the back of my knee and has broken the skin a bit, made worse by the fact that I wore it again yesterday, so I don't know if I've perhaps had the straps too tight? That has been my only disappointment. I'll need to wait 'til it heals before putting the brace on again. I have emailed my Ossur contact to ask for advice on the rubbing and whether I've perhaps had straps too tight.
Should you feel the straps really taught against the back of your knee, when leg is fully extended when walking, or not?
Don't know if you had / have had similar experience?  Again, any advice offered is appreciated.
Thanks

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 10:26:13 PM »
I have had the strap around the back of my knee rub the skin too, then you wait whilst it heals and not wear the brace so next time it's like starting out again. You need to have the straps tight but if they are too tight then they rub, its catch 22 situation. I would loosen them very slightly, the brace will still do the same job. I also tried using a very thin stick on wide tape used in physio, can't remember what it is called off the top of my head under the straps, but this tends to roll and come off if walking a lot.
You need to be able to feel the straps when the leg is straight but I have found that it is more comfortable if they are tight but not quite so tight that it hurts. You should not feel them so much when the leg is bent as they are not in the "working position".
I think I have finally got my brace in a very comfortable fitting, I have had all the lower padding changed and it is so much more comfortable to wear. I can wear it all day and have no reaction to wearing it except less pain.
Hope you get it all sorted out, let me know how you get on.

Offline K9Sport

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 02:04:12 AM »
I wore the Ossur Unloader One for more than a year, everyday.  I found it to be lightweight and VERY comfortable to wear.  Mine had a built in liner so the straps didn't rub the skin.  It relieved pain VERY well, although like the other poster said, it does need to be worn tight.  I found Ossur to have wonderful customer service and they replaced the liner for me for free when it tore.  I HIGHLY recommend this brace to offload the knee.
HTH!
11/2014 - PHMM Root Ligament Repair (failed)
6/2015 - revision of PHMM Root ligament repair, LOA, Chondroplasty

Offline Bdavid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 12:08:22 PM »
Thanks for comments WD (and K9). Yes, I think I have it sorted now. Just takes a bit of getting used to and finding the right balance with the strap settings I guess. I put a piece of lint behind knee, stuck down with that physio tape you mention, just to provide a bit of padding and it worked perfectly. Then I was tightening or slacking off the pressure as I thought I needed. And I guess if you're not in pain, then it's working. Was fairly active last weekend and the brace certainly did its job........no pain.  So all good and happy.
Thanks again

support