Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I think my knee is taking my life down to new low  (Read 2322 times)

Offline xyj

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I think my knee is taking my life down to new low
« on: February 02, 2016, 12:24:43 PM »
I'm 23 yo female had my ACLR back in April, 2014. Those first 2 months post-op was one of the hardest time in my life, until just 4 days ago I had another trauma on that knee. I had MRI scan almost right away and was told I've retorn it. The doctor reading the MRI result is a good one but she didn't mention how much the ACL was torn. This doctor used to treat top athletes in my country but she's more of an expert in conservative approach when it comes to ligament damage. However, I kind of knew it must be really bad since I already learned the hard way from my first torn ACL and that time I didn't even feel that much pain while walking.

I've been adviced to go conservative and see how it goes till August. But the pain in my knee is suggesting me that I will very possibly need a surgery again which I would definitely want to avoid. The thing is I had no burden such as study or work last time I had the surgery but this time I need to report back to my employer abroad in 2 weeks and I have this visa issue that I will have to report on time. I also have finance issue since this injury happened in between the period I am uninsured. I am just very desperate and I don't know what to do. This ACL re-injury has basically ruined my finance, my career opportunity and my mentality. I am mentally not ready for another surgery anytime soon.

I think I will go conservative for a while but I really don't think ACLs can heal by themselves especially when I could feel the instability and given that it is the graft I torn not my own ACL. I am going to show the MRI to other orthopaedists and ask for their opinion later this week. I've been reading a lot of med publications online and I can't do nothing apart from feeling more desperate.

I mean like on this forum I've seen plenty of cases that are worse than mine and they made it through and I totally admire them. It's just this time, my re-injury happened almost at the worst time I could have ever expected.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:08:58 PM by xyj »

Offline Papa

• Forum Faithful
Re: I think my knee is taking my life down to new low
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:49:51 PM »
Hi XYJ, I'm so sorry to hear that your ACL is re-injured. I had a 98% tear years ago. Because I had 3 little kids and was self-employed, I couldn't afford the cost or time to get it fixed. I went 8 years until I had a job with insurance. Then it was replaced. You can do it. Without faith and prayer, I believe it would have gotten me from the mental aspect. Without sounding hokey, I will certainly be praying for you for healing, wisdom and grace to get through this rough time. And you will get through it! Please feel free to message me if you wish.
acl replacement- rt knee 1995
various scopes- at least six
pkr- left knee 6/12/09
tkr- rt knee 1/15/10
left knee revision to a tkr- 3/18/16

Offline xyj

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 01:32:42 PM »
Thanks, Papa...

I don't know what is medically most suitable for me at this moment but I'll have to have faith so I won't be much affected by this injury.

Offline Papa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 08:40:01 PM »
I certainly understand. I'm having a left knee revision on March 18. Sometimes it's hard to look up. :)
acl replacement- rt knee 1995
various scopes- at least six
pkr- left knee 6/12/09
tkr- rt knee 1/15/10
left knee revision to a tkr- 3/18/16

support