Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL injury-Regenexx vs Surgery what to choose  (Read 993 times)

Offline mitkop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL injury-Regenexx vs Surgery what to choose
« on: August 16, 2015, 10:04:47 PM »
Hi i am new here and want to know what my best choice will be.
I have no problems when walking or fitness training or running in straight line,but when changing directions trying to play soccer i can fall to the ground becouse of my knee.So 1 year ago i probably partially tore my acl and have a posterior horn of the medial meniscus 3a grade tear.I received my injury while playing soccer,and 1 year now i tried only 2 times to play and it didn't work.I bought a brace donjoy fullforce and it might be possible to play with it,but still i want to heal my acl and play without anything is it possible with regenexx or any other way.I visited the best orthopedic doctors in my country and they wanted to make me a surgery,but i dont feel like it.I made an MRI lately and the Doctor that read the MRI told me that my acl is damaged ,but definitely not for surgery,and with Physiotherapy 3-6 months it will be like new.Is it possible.Hope somebody helps

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 107
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: ACL injury-Regenexx vs Surgery what to choose
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »
This article is a bit hard to read, but scroll down to the discussion at the end. When the authors talk of 'conservative' management, they mean 'no operation' management.
http://www.boneandjoint.org.uk/highwire/filestream/15728/field_highwire_article_pdf/0/446.full-text.pdf
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17495718

One of the issues I would raise is that you know you already have meniscal damage. The instability of both a torn meniscus and a lax or incompetent ACL means that you may in time have no shock absorbing ability on the damaged side, and the joint cartilage covering the ends of the femur and tibia bone may become damaged, leading to arthritis on that side. Also, the longer the situation is allowed to continue, the less the possibility of repair of the meniscus, to make it function properly as a shock absorber again.

I know it is a difficult decision, and look forward to others giving their opinion here.
--
KNEEguru

Offline mitkop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 07:14:35 PM »
HI!
I still have no pain ,but did not try to play soccer because i can feel that i has not healed ,so i started Physiotherapy (laser,ultrasound and 1 more thing) i made 10 days rested 10 and now again 10 and so 3 to 6 months i will do ,because the last mri i did the doctor there told me that the Acl is not for op and it will probably heal at the physiotherapy 3-6 months 10 days doing 10 days resting ,but she said that the posterior horn of the medial meniscus tear will not heal.The ACL will be like new after 3-6 months she said and i am giving it a try.I hope both the acl and the meniscus tear heal ,but when the acl heals it's going to be good enough to me,because the 2 best orthopedic surgeans told me that my acl is torn and it will not heal ,but i know it will heal sooner or later i will find a way,and i have friends that have torn and they looked way worse than my tear they couldn't walk for a weak.I will keep you posted and hope i will soon be on the soccer field.Thanks

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 02:35:50 AM »
To me, this is a no-brainer.   ACL reconstruction only causes arthritis down the road, typically at the 10 year mark.   Keep rreading these forums and you will note that very many patients have near end-stage arthritis at the 10 year mark, as shown by clinic studies.   Try the regenexx route, which by the way, should be able to treat both meniscus tear and ACL tears.  If it doesn't work, the surgical option will always be available.

And by the way, did the surgeons who are offering ACL reconstruction surgery tell you what to expect long term???
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

support