Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Popping feeling? ..I need a brace but what kind?  (Read 464 times)

Offline SARAHHHRUSS

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Popping feeling? ..I need a brace but what kind?
« on: January 06, 2016, 03:47:44 AM »
So I am 22 year old female, a bit overweight (now:( )  I am not completely sure what to do I have talked to my physician about it but she wasn't helpful at all. But I'm a bit young to be having these issues. When I was 19, I was more fit, not in shape completely but I ran maybe 15 minutes a day for a while, I really messed up my knees during that time. They would swell up and even the slightest movement was unbarable. Now 3 years later they don't hurt unless I do an intense work out, or twist it the wrong way, but going up stairs and basic bending makes them snap, or pop. It doesn't hurt its just unsettling . I know it could hurt if I kept going or messing with them. It's discouraging because I really just want to get back into a gym routine but my knees are holding me back, and I don't want to injur them more than they already are. So I was wondering if anyone has any tips ? Or recommendations for braces , I've been looking into the Copper fusion sleaves and some open Patella braces. I'm also on a budget I can't spend more than 40 on each brace. Thank you
-Sarah  :-[

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
Re: Popping feeling? ..I need a brace but what kind?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 11:57:15 PM »
generally a doctor will tell you that some crepitus (cracking or popping noise) is normal, as long as it doesn't cause pain or discomfort.

i would look into making sure you strengthen all muscles of the leg and hip equally, many people only exercise their quads which leaves the VMO (inner thigh muscle) weak. make sure to warm up gently and really well, make sure to get in the habit of stretching. also, generally, you would be recommended to do low impact exercises, any one looking to preserve their knees it's better to do low intensity/low impact workouts. like biking, elliptical, swimming.