Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Cross Country Skiing with a Norwegian... Dang!  (Read 487 times)

Offline MrsKD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cross Country Skiing with a Norwegian... Dang!
« on: January 06, 2016, 01:38:39 AM »
This is my first post to this board and I'm glad to find you all. I hurt my knee a week ago skiing with my Norwegian exchange student. I have been seen by an urgent care doc and will see a surgeon tomorrow and hopefully get an MRI.

The xrays looked good but there is all sorts of instability going on. It is still swollen and if I put any weight on it (which I've been instructed NOT to do), it buckles. And it will buckle to the left or to the right. There is more swelling on the MCL side, and the urgent care doc thinks it's either an MCL sprain or tear. I can't imagine that it would be only a sprain with this much buckling and swelling a week down the road.

I tried to go in to work yesterday (Dean of Students in an elementary school), but the swelling was bad and today I stayed home. It was exhausting just getting up and showered. I'm not taking any prescription drugs but will take Tylenol and Motrin when it starts to ache.

If this is a ligament repair job, how long should I expect to be off work?
Thanks!
MrsKD

Offline MrsKD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Cross Country Skiing with a Norwegian... Dang!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:29:13 PM »
I saw the surgeon today and did the MRI. The technician asked me twice after I was done, "You have a follow up appointment, right? You're going to need a follow up appointment."  That doesn't feel very encouraging...  :-\
If I need surgery we can get it done on Friday. This doctor only does surgeries on Thursdays or Fridays, so I don't want to wait yet another week to get this fixed.

Sure hoping it isn't a torn MCL and ACL. I just have a really bad feeling about this.

On the bright side, he's  given me the go-ahead to bear weight. It is soooo much easier putting weight on my foot now! It hasn't popped out of joint/buckled in two days. This is also really positive... Gotta focus on the positive.

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
Re: Cross Country Skiing with a Norwegian... Dang!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 03:52:33 AM »
Best oF luck with your results. I don't think you will know about being out of work until you find out what you did to it. Keep us posted!
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases