Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 3 months post Stem Cell surgery - still limping -HELP  (Read 601 times)

Offline IMF73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
3 months post Stem Cell surgery - still limping -HELP
« on: January 04, 2016, 08:36:07 PM »
Im now 3 months post op from an osteochondral graft using stem cells in my right knee. This was all done via keyhole surgery. I had 2 lesions; one on the underside of the patella & one on the trochlea groove.
The surgery all went well & the surgeon was very pleased. I was in a leg brace and on crutches for 6 weeks but was ok to weight bear from day one.
After 6 weeks the surgeon was pleased with my progress, the swelling, movement and early signs. He will do a follow up MRI at 6 month post op to see if it has worked.
I am now 11 weeks post surgery, Im off crutches & out the leg brace completely. There is definite good progress especially with the swelling that has reduced significantly and the movement and range of motion is great. I can bend it way beyond 120degrees & extend it flat. The extension is not as god as my good leg but it is improving.
There is muscle loss in the leg and I am building that up.
I don't get any pain at all in the knee, just sometimes a click but not painful.
I do however get a bit of a click & a slight discomfort/weird feeling when waking and this is leading me to limp.
I would have thought I would be walking ok by now but I am actually still limping. It seems that my body is trying to avoid the walking motion. I am walking with a slight peg leg & avoiding a full knee bend when walking & leading me to limp- if that makes sense.

I am seeing the surgeon in 2 weeks so will be discussing and getting feedback from him but does anyone have any experience of similar procedures?
Its very frustrating that I cannot walk and am still limping. Its also frustrating that I am still none the wiser if this has worked. I would have thought it would be painful and/or swollen if it hadn't worked....right?
Is limping still common & expected at this stage?
Am I expecting too much, is it still early days?
Any experience, comments, tips etc would be great - thanks

Offline IMF73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 3 months post Stem Cell surgery - still limping -HELP
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:52:39 PM »
Bump  :)

Offline tinydinosaur

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 08:43:29 AM »
it really seems to depend on the person and how they (you) heal, i've been told bone healing can be anywhere from 4-12 weeks. when i had my graft done i was told to expect 6-12 months to be back to regular activities for patients who are otherwise healthy (i myself had, still have) severe quad wasting.

a few thoughts, you can sometimes get 'wonkiness' in the kneecap post surgery because of either a bit of muscle atrophy or perhaps a little bit of scar tissue build up at the incision sites. the good news is that if it is one of those things it will get better as your leg gets stronger or if you haven't been told to start working on frictioning your incision sites (as long as they are healed and no longer in the 'crusty' stage of healing  :D )

also sometimes post surgery, your leg goes into guarding mode so it tries to protect it while you're busy sleeping or it can be a bit of nighttime swelling due to pressure changes leading to a stiff, uncomfortable knee in the morning. generally warming it up, maybe doing a bit of ROM or gentle stretching can help loosen it up. it may also be guarding while walking, trying to protect the knee because you are worried about the click? try walking at a pace that is comfortable so you don't have to worry about it catching (turtling around is frustrating but it can help teach your leg how to trust itself again and get everything back to firing naturally). or if need be, try walking slightly assisted with a crutch see if that helps.

Offline IMF73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 08:09:35 PM »
Many thanks....very interesting