Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Partial Meniscectomy recovery time  (Read 4693 times)

Offline JoshYelland4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Partial Meniscectomy recovery time
« on: January 03, 2016, 09:13:12 PM »
Hi this is my first post...

Anyway, I'm 18 years old and I'm physically fit. I have a small tear in my posterior third meniscus. I have an operation booked on February 11th for partial meniscectomy.

My leg has been kept very strong, doing gym exercises that don't hurt my knee, this is to speed up recovery time.

I have many friends that have had this operation and they have been back with full movement in 3 weeks and I was wondering how long people think it would take for me to be back to full fitness.

I have a skiing holiday booked on the 19th March (5 1/2 weeks after my op)--- will I be able to do this?

Thank you.

I hope you can all help- Josh  :)

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 47
Re: Partial Meniscectomy recovery time
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 12:16:07 AM »
Assuming a normal course, you should be back to full activity by 6 weeks.   A "slow" recovery would be one that is made by 3-6 months.    Normally, this type of information would be readily provided by the surgeon.  So, grossly, this may be what your short term outlook would be.   Did the surgeon give you any information on medium to long term (5 to 15 years) outlook for partial meniscectomy?
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 402
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 08:29:19 AM »
Has the surgeon not discussed trying to repair the tear? It may be where it is but given your age and if it's a small tear, he should at least be considering this. As dal_knee is inferring, removing meniscus at 18 means that your chances of arthritis developing in time are potentially very high

If I were you, I'd talk to the surgeon about repair, it will mean you can't go skiing as you'll need to be very cautious to protect the repair, likely using crutches, but it may be the best thing for the long term health of your knee. Perhaps you could even reschedule the op and have the holiday, ask the surgeon or a physiotherapist about a support for the knee. What symptoms do you have, is the knee locked or mechanically impaired in some way? If not, there's no rush to get the tear repaired if the knee is functional and pain free as you describe

Many people live for years with meniscus tears especially small ones, often people don't even know they exist

You could have the surgery and hope that you have a textbook recovery. But will you lose lots of money if you cancel now or at short notice after the op, what's the situation with travel insurance, normally they won't cover pre existing issues. Read the terms and conditions carefully, phone the company if not sure
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:31:22 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline JoshYelland4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
I am actually booked in for the repair not the shaving of cartilage, I got this wrong.

4-6 weeks in a brace? Is it possible to drive with this on?

And then considering that I'm fit and active, 3 months and I should be back to action?

Is this correct?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:02:41 AM »
A repair will put you on crutches for 6 weeks most likely and then you'll need to rehab to recover lost muscle, proprioception etc. Nobody can say you'll definitely be back after 3 months. All surgeries carry risks

I'd be surprised if any surgeon would allow you to risk damaging his handiwork so you'd be best postponing the op or cancelling your holiday

Ref driving that's a question for the surgeon. He needs to clear you or your insurance may be invalidated. Left or right knee, manual or automatic, type of brace?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:15:23 AM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline JoshYelland4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:24:41 AM »
Holiday is off, not even worried about that.

So you think its certainly best to have the repair at my age instead of having it trimmed?

It's such a strange injury, in which I only feel the pain when at high intensity; i.e. soccer.

So it'll be 6 weeks in a brace? Will I be able to walk after the 6 weeks.

Really appreciate your help.

Josh

Offline JoshYelland4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 11:41:05 AM »
I know this sounds really strange but despite all the questions around having an op, I really am starting to think I don't need one.

For example, I can squat heavy weight, I can run, I can cross train and bend without any "real" pain as I'd call it. It makes me feel that I don't need the operation all together. Is this normal to think like this/ the meniscus to repair- after all it was a slight tear?

Really frustrating me and I am only 6 weeks away from my "surgery" date.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 11:42:45 AM »
I'm sure you'll be able to walk but your leg will likely be weak and you'll need to work hard with your Physio. Follow the surgeon and PT instructions to the letter :)

Yes, certainly get it repaired if you definitely need the surgery (when was the injury sustained?) Having it trimmed sets you up for arthritis down the line, you need to keep that shock absorber intact

There's a really good meniscus video and primer in the learning hub (link top right)

Can you talk to the surgeon? When did you see him last? Or try to see a non surgeon sports physician. Surgeons like to do surgery...they get paid for it (especially in places like the US, more conservative here in the uk as they are salaried not paid by the op)

Based on what you are saying I personally would wait and not go through the pain and risk but it's not my knee. I hobbled around on a locked knee for 5 months, then when it started to give way I had the menisectomy as I had no choice. Just some discomfort I'd stop doing whatever hurts it. But I'm not an 18 year old lad, different priorities. What do your parents think? You could try prp or stem cell injections to help the inflammation but they can be expensive or hard to access. Surgery should always be a last resort after trying every else you can :)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 11:50:14 AM by Vickster »
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline JoshYelland4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 11:46:43 AM »
Vickster,

Please see my message about needing the op all together.

Offline JoshYelland4

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 11:56:02 AM »
I am seeing the GP on Wednesday and on Tuesday this week I plan on going to football training to test my knee out; obviously if I get pain, I need the op.

I always want to ski, play football (soccer) etc.

I just don't want to have the op if its not vital. Is their a chance it could have healed?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 12:28:02 PM »
What country are you in?

Do be aware that after the surgery, it is very unlikely that your knee will ever be exactly as it was before the surgery, then it may not be if you don't have the op either. No guarantees, just be aware of the possible downsides. It may be that you won't he able to perform at the same level but you do have youth on your side

Im not sure playing football with a compromised knee is wise unless your surgeon or Physio has cleared you, because there is risk of doing more serious harm

Meniscus can heal depending on where the tear us and how the blood supply is. Do watch the video and read the primer and other meniscus stuff

Good luck :)
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
I think how much you can do and whether or not you have to use a brace or crutches depends on the surgeon and how conservative they are.

I had a mensicus tear that was trimmed as well as the cartilage under my knee cleaned up.  I was full weight bearing in the recovery room.  Walked to the bathroom on my own to get dressed after my surgery. I was told I could have crutches if I wanted them.  I did take them and used them for a day.  As this is done arthroscopically, generally there are only three puncture holes where they insert the instruments, no sutures are used to close the wounds. In my case just three small bandages. 

I have read about other doctors wanting you to be partial weight bearing and will recommend you stay on cruthces for a few weeks.  It really depends on your surgeon.

However, in my case I was back playing recreational ice hockey in 6 weeks without any issues.  I was 50 at the time and you are a whole lot younger so would believe your recovery would be much quicker.

But as Vickster stated, this type of surgery increases your chances of developing arthritis down the road.  In my case, I ended up with a partial knee replacement in the knee with the mensicus tear a year later.  It did contribute to the problems I was having but was not the only reason for the PKR.

Talk to your surgeron and understand the risks and discuss any alternatives to surgery.  Your best bet is to get as much information as you can and then make the best decision for you. Everyone is differnt.  Good luck.

Offline Karend

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 03:18:14 PM »
Everyone is different and everyone's injury is different so you can't compare what your recovering time might be to others.  I had a knee arthroscopy and partial menisectomy in April 2015 and since then I have had the exact same pain in the exact same place as before! Working with the NHS in Scotland is a very slow process and I have only just had another MRI scan which shows I still have a tear!!  I'm now back where I started and have to consider whether I live with it as it is or have a second op.  Their explanation is that they possibly didn't take enough cartilage the last time!!  All of this has been ongoing since my pain first started 2 years ago and I'm still no further forward.

I have heard of people being back running etc after 6 weeks but I guess it depends on a lot of factors, what your injury is, how your surgeon deals with it and possibly what else is going on in your knee besides the actual tear.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »
How old are? As we age, it is easy to retear the meniscus as the tissue degenerates. Also once torn and trimmed, further tears are more likely especially if active. Also any arthritic changes in the knee can cause meniscus tears from rough bone or impact

There's good meniscus info in the learning hub

LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15