Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 5 days away from ACLr and new problem arises  (Read 1606 times)

Offline mackwarr13

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
5 days away from ACLr and new problem arises
« on: December 31, 2015, 10:25:26 PM »
Hi all,
I am 5 days away from my ACL reconstruction and I have just noticed a new problem and I'm not sure if its normal or there is another issue. MRI showed complete ACL tear, intact menisci and other ligaments, but very severe bone bruising on the lateral side of both my femur and tibia. Lately, I've been noticing that the outside of my knee is almost achingly sore, is audibly clicking. For the first 3 weeks after initial injury, we thought just my lateral meniscus was torn and was surprised when that came up fine on MRI. Could the MRI have missed the a meniscus tear? Or is this just another side effect of blowing out my ACL and the bone bruising? OS has already said he will fix anything while he's already in there so that's not the problem..this is more for just piece of mind and knowing what to expect post-surgery than anything. Thanks for any input!

Offline ellie_tjm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 5 days away from ACLr and new problem arises
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
Hi,

Did you get an outcome from the clicking?
I have my ACLl surgery due in a few weeks and it's taken quite a long time to correctly diagnose...
When my ACL ruptured it caused scarring and it bound itself to the PCL. Because of this I didn't have much instability and so for months (and even after an MRI stated the ACL was ruptured) my OS has thought is was a severe meniscus tear. 

I finally had my arthroscopy a few weeks ago and the meniscus has normal wear and tear and the OS is now saying it ACL all along and going for hamstring recon soon.

The whole time I have had loads of clicking in my knee with mostly outside pain (sounds similar doesn't it) but after the arthroscopy where he's removed lots of the scarring this has been mostly resolved and only experience it after a busy day. 

Maybe it could be something like that? I still get lots of pain and if I try to run its either too painful or my leg slips and I'm on the floor!

Any ways all the best for the recovery

Best wishes!

Offline healingup

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Re: 5 days away from ACLr and new problem arises
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 05:24:40 AM »
I had a very similar injury. The corner of my knee hurt when extending the knee (lateral side). There was a large bone bruise. It can be a lot of things of course. In my experience the holes that the dril for the tunnels result in sharp pain laterally. But if you feel clicking as well it could be due to cartilage damage, scar tissue, meniscus or even your palella? Get an post op MRI! I did that as well and it showed that my doc made a mess.

support