Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Current treatment plan - Patella Cartilage Full Thickness Fissure  (Read 4905 times)

Offline nkaufman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello,

Am wondering what are the current treatment options for:
Localized medial compartment chondromalacia
Full thickness fissure on Patellar cartilage with adjacent subchondral cystic change and surrounding bone marrow edema
Small joint effusion

I'd initially thought that stem cell/PRP could be an option but that does not seem so, according to user - psny.
who suggested - Dr. Broyles in Louisiana to go along with stem cell treatment.
Was wondering if there are other alternatives for me to look at and evaluate before taking a plunge.

Thank you for your assistance.

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 59
Re: Current treatment plan - Patella Cartilage Full Thickness Fissure
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 03:33:27 PM »
Hi there,

Is all of your cartilage damage localized on the patella?  I personally had a centralized patella cartilage defect (2x2cm).  The rest of my knee was completely normal, so I had surgery about one year ago using Cartiform.

I highly recommend this surgery if your cartilage defect is localized.  I am very happy with the results.  If your damage is more spread out cartiform may not be an option though.  Dr. Broyles is potentially a good option, but you will have to pay out of pocket.  Cartiform seems to be getting covered by most major insurance carriers. 

Stem cells/PRP are still in the early stages of clinical use and there is no evidence that they can repair a cartilage defect through injection alone.

Offline nkaufman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 08:44:18 AM »
Hello,

Thank you for your comments.

My MRI report is as follows. I wanted to start with the minimally invasive treatment first before getting opened up. :D

MRI Result:
Ligaments - The anterior cruciate, posterior cruciate and collateral ligaments are intact. There is no ligamentous thickening or abnormal intraligamentous signal

Medial compartment - Mark, localized thinning of the articular cartilage is present involving the lateral aspect of the medial condyle. There is adjacent subchondral signal change and marginal degenerative spurring. There is no medial meniscal tear.

Lateral compartment - The osseous structures are unremarkable. The articular cartilage in the lateral compartment is within normal limits. There is no lateral meniscal tear.

Patellofemoral compartment - There is full thickness fissure involving the cartilage of the median eminence. Adjacent subchondral cystic change and mild surrounding edema are present in the patella. No significant thinning of the patellar cartilage is present. Normal patellar alignment is present. The extensor mechanism has a normal appearance. Hoffa’s fat pad appears normal.

Soft tissues - There is a small joint effusion. The visualized musculature has a normal appearance. No Baker’s cyst or soft tissue mass is identified.

Impression:
Localized medial compartment chondromalacia
Patellar cartilage fissure with adjacent subchondral cystic change and surrounding bone marrow edema
Small joint effusion

Offline Mikewithers86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 07:39:18 AM »
Can I ask if you had anything done for your fissure? I have the same injury and struggle to
Find doctors who will do anything because the nature of the damage.

support