Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee MRI Help  (Read 478 times)

Offline CS022684

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee MRI Help
« on: December 16, 2015, 04:15:36 AM »
Could someone please explain to me what this really means? I have been having knee pain for going on a year now and finally had an MRI. I have pain standing and sitting. A burning pain that goes up my leg. My knee is also constantly popping. I can see the results, but apparently, the doctor hasn't received them yet. From what I can tell by the MRI, it doesn't seem to be very serious? If not, why does it hurt so bad?

There is only minimal joint fluid present but I do see a popliteal fossa cyst which is multilocular. This is best seen on sagittal T2 images #19 through #22. The menisci shows some signal intensity in the posterior horn of the medial meniscus but I believe that this is probably degenerative. I see it best on proton density sagittal images #23 and #24 and I cannot document it reaching the joint surface. The lateral meniscus has normal signal intensity.

IMPRESSION:

Degenerative type signal in the posterior horn of the medial meniscus and popliteal fossa cyst.

Offline JamieDeanne

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Knee MRI Help
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 07:11:54 AM »
why don't you wait for the radiologist to do his job and go from there? MRI results don't change how your knee will feel in the morning :)

Don't Forget What Makes You Strong

Offline JOW_103

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 17
Re: Knee MRI Help
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 03:03:48 PM »
The MRI is showing you likely have a tear in the posterior horn of your medial meniscus (inside portion of your knee) that is degenrative in nature and likely not the result of a sports injury.  Degenrative just means the tear is a result of a wearing out vs it being caused by trauma.

You also have a Baker's Cyst.  These often form as a result of arthritis or a cartilage tear.  If you have a torn meniscus this would likely cause the cyst to form. The cyst is fluid filled and cause tightness and swelling in the back of your knee.

support