Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Extreme Knee Laxity After Surgery (Acrobat)  (Read 1148 times)

Offline jamiestroud69

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Extreme Knee Laxity After Surgery (Acrobat)
« on: December 15, 2015, 09:28:21 AM »
Hi! My name's Jamie and I'm new to this forum. I'm in a troublesome situation and was hoping for opinions so I can understand better what I should do.
Summary:
- I tore my right ACL in 2014 January from an acrobatic tumbling sequence, I also had mild meniscus damage.
- I got ACL surgery in 2015 April via autograft using my right patellar tendon, with titanium screws.
- About 1 month after surgery, I felt a compulsion to lotus stretch, which resulted in a pop. I felt no pain or further instability after the pop. MRI showed a mild tear but that my graft was still intact.
- *Edit: I also spent thousands of dollars on 2 PRP +Stem Cell +HGH Therapy injection treatments into my knee at this point, 1 week after the pop, then again 3 weeks after the first injection.
- It's been about 8 months since surgery, and I have increasingly severe knee laxity, pain, and instability. MRI confirmed my graft is long.
- All my MRIs are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwxg1klojl0mb6t/jamie-stroud-mris.zip?dl=0
- I previously read that patellar tendon autografts were best for young athletes, but recently I read tibialis allografts using slippage resistant fixations are better: http://bme.ucdavis.edu/hull/files/2011/07/Smith_JBiomech_2010.pdf
- What's my best option under these circumstances? I'd just like to be able to continue acrobatics for a few more years.
- I live in Las Vegas, NV, USA, if that helps anyone make recommendations of a surgeon, though I'm willing to travel.
- Here's a video I made, in case that helps make my case even more clear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJTubbY1tRA

I gratefully welcome question and comments!
- Jamie
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:30:32 AM by jamiestroud69 »

Offline tlkkkk

• Regular Poster
Re: Extreme Knee Laxity After Surgery (Acrobat)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 12:18:39 PM »
who gave you the HGH?

Did it tighten the ligaments up

is the pop perhaps the meniscus tearing due to laxity in the joint?

Offline tlkkkk

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 12:19:50 PM »
As your a contorsionist have you considered that you may have elhers dlalnos?

Offline jamiestroud69

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »
who gave you the HGH?

Did it tighten the ligaments up

is the pop perhaps the meniscus tearing due to laxity in the joint?

As your a contorsionist have you considered that you may have elhers dlalnos?

The facility that injected PRP and Stem Cells into my knee also injected HGH into my knee.

The PRP, Stem Cells, and HGH didn't seem to have strong noticeable effect on my knee.

I doubt the pop 1 month after surgery would've been my meniscus since my knee lacked flexibility at that time (and I would think a more extreme stretch would be needed to effect the meniscus), also MRI didn't suggest any additional meniscus damage.

I don't have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. None of my joints hyper-extend, and none of my ligaments feel loose except for my ACL after surgery.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 07:51:59 PM »
what does your physiotherapist think?  Or the surgeon who operated?

Why such a big time lag between injury and reconstruction given your age and occupation?
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline jamiestroud69

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »
what does your physiotherapist think?  Or the surgeon who operated?

Why such a big time lag between injury and reconstruction given your age and occupation?

I got opinions for 2 surgeons, the one who operated on me, and another. The one who operated on me suggested thermal shrinkage. The other surgeon said thermal shrinkage isn't worth it since it only works for a few months then lengthens again. He suggested another surgery using a patellar tendon allograft or autograft again. I haven't had a chance to show him the article about the tibialis allograft with slippage resistant fixations yet. On a side note, another doctor said limb lengthening could possibly be a fix.

There was a big time lag because I had previous injuries that healed on their own and was hoping this would too. Once I realized it wouldn't, then money was the issue.

support