Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: how does your knee feels after acl surgery?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Piri00

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
how does your knee feels after acl surgery?
« on: December 13, 2015, 09:58:20 PM »
Hi guys

I had acl revision on 6th of November patella tendon.

My knee still feels loose like new ligament didn't help much.
Is this because the muscles are still very weak around the knee?

What is your experience please?

Offline Diana744

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: how does your knee feels after acl surgery?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »
I'm not going to be much help here, but I'm very interested in hearing responses to this.
I just had acl reconstruction with the hamstring (Nov 30th), and my knee also feels weak, when I walk it sometimes gives way and I'm hoping it's just that the surrounding muscles are still weak.

One month in one would hope it'd be a bit stronger!

Did you find the pain in the knee for bending/straightening goes away? Or has it stayed pretty tight? Every time I try and do my phsyio exercises it's excruciating to go from bending to straightening, and doesn't feel like it's progressing.

Offline Piri00

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 01:31:02 PM »
Hi

Yes the pain in the knee goes away soon. Just keep up with your physio and it will get easier.
My first Acl reconstruction was hamstring and I always did extra exercises to get my extension an flexion back.
When your knee is painful stop and rest.

This time it was Little  bit harder as they have used patella tendon and I have lost lot of quadriceps muscles compare to first ACl with hamstring.

Our knees are definitely very weak at the moment that is why it feels like they do not hold. It will get better with gaining strength in the muscles.

My only thing is that my ACL feels little bit loose like is not tight enough... maybe this is just feeling of the weak muscles.( I hope)

Offline Diana744

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 05:00:17 AM »
Piri001 - is your ACL still feeling weak, or has it gained strength? have you spoken to your dr about it for input?
1 month in (Monday) and my knee still feels like it gives out/over extends some times ... hope your recovery is getting better.

Offline Piri00

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 07:26:27 PM »
Hi Diana744
 weak
My knee is getting better but is still very weak.
it still feel like there is laxity in the knee joint...

My doctor said it is normal and the acl ligament is there and solid.
He can feel the laxity but he said that acl is strong and has end point and the knee laxity joint will get better by gaining stronger muscles.

The main rehabilitation takes up to 6 months but after that there is another time to get to full strength which can takes up to 12 months and more...

Main thing is to get strength back and equal muscles in the bad leg same as good leg.
But do not rush with rehab...

good luck with your rehab