Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: manipulation sceduled for monday - questions  (Read 528 times)

Offline jon-d

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
manipulation sceduled for monday - questions
« on: December 10, 2015, 02:25:47 AM »
I met with the doc today and I currently have about 110 degrees of ROM, which is the most I have been able to achieve after weeks of pushing hard on my leg for hours at a time, almost daily.  the doc said he could put me under and crank on my leg and I should get another 10-20 degrees of motion.  he also mentioned injecting my knee with a pain killer that should help with recovery that he says will only take a couple of days.

I don't know what I don't know so I was hoping that some of you with this experience can provide some insight?  how long will the pain last (if at all) after the procedure?  can I expect to be using my leg or will it be too tender or weak?  also, what post procedure exersizes and how often do I need to do them to keep the ROM he gets for me?

for the good news...at todays meeting the doc says I can start placing weight on my leg as tolerated.  he thinks that in a couple of weeks I will be completely off crutches.  oh man, I cannot express the joy I felt when hearing at that news!!!
9/13/15 - TP shattered during motocross race
9/13/15 - external hardware installed, calf sliced on both sides (compartment syndrome)
9/16/15 - calf sewn and stapled up
9/18/15 - external hardware removed, internal hardware installed
9/29/15 - first day back home, first day of a long recovrey

Offline JamieDeanne

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: manipulation sceduled for monday - questions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 08:33:04 AM »
I would say no to the manipulation under anesthetic - why rush it? most PT do manipulation in regular therapy - I can't' tell if you are going to PT or not by your post. what is "pushing on it daily"? is that you or a PT?

my first surgery I picked up a subconscious habit of bending my leg and trying to touch my heel to my butt while standing, I guess it was a ROM exercise or "tic" that just never went away because I still catch myself doing it 7 years later. it helped a lot at the beginning (the first year after surgery) because it gave me my last 30 degrees of ROM that I couldn't achieve at physio. also by doing that all throughout the day, it prevented any scar tissue and microadhesions from building up each day as they were torn during daily PT.

What exactly is your doctor wanting to inject into your knee for pain? Lidocaine or something? Injections always come with a risk of infection, and why risk infection inside your joint capsule? If he's suggesting a steroid injection to help with swelling and pain, that's a bad idea. Steroids greatly inhibit healing, like delay for MONTHS, even though they reduce swelling and may help with pain. so you will beb delaying the cellular grown and repair and all the good things your knee is trying to do to heal itself after being slaughtered during surgery.

Remember pain is there for a reason. Don't be afraid of it. Learn to manage it, not look for ways to hide from it and shortcuts to eliminate it to the detriment of your surgical recovery.

So,in my opinion, no to the forced manipulation, no to the injection. Take the time, be patient, avoid further trauma to your body. be kind to it, take it slow and steady, it has been through a lot and it is trying to heal. let it.

Don't Forget What Makes You Strong

Offline jon-d

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 05:02:13 PM »
thanks Jamie that is good information that I was not aware of.  I have been going to PT for the past couple weeks and they check my RM at every session.

I am still leaning towards the manipulation only because I feel like I have hit a wall with my RM and the clock is ticking in regards to the scar tissue getting harder.  I sit in front of the tv for a few hours every day and pull my leg towards my butt until the pain is almost unbearable and hold it there.  then if I can tolerate it I continue to incrementally pull it in further.  I also ride a stationary bike and lower the seat to stretch out the leg (about 30 minutes a day).  I have done this for weeks and have not progressed, not even 5 degrees which is why I am even considering this procedure.

I am very grateful for the RM I have but I am finding it difficult to get in and out of vehicles and would like to increase it at least a little more.

if anyone can share their experiences as well that would be helpful.  I still have time to cancel the appointment.
9/13/15 - external hardware installed, calf sliced on both sides (compartment syndrome)

Offline JamieDeanne

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 06:05:16 PM »
I don't think this is a good idea. It took me 6 months to get full ROM after my MPFL repair, LR, and chrondoplasty. I got the first 100 degrees within 5 sessions (3 weeks) and then I ran out of insurance so had to complete my recovery/rehab on my own at home. Very slowly, consistently, just by using my leg in normal daily activities and by stretching and utilizing the exercises my PT gave me as well as doing heel-to-butt bends, I got all the ROM and function back without the trauma and pain and risks associated with going under anesthesia and shredding the adhesions with violent force.

Just my experience and opinion. You are over the acute post-surgical healing period, you won't be in danger of creating more scar tissue to lock that knee back up. With regular use and PT, you will get full ROM back.
Don't Forget What Makes You Strong

Offline jon-d

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 06:11:10 PM »
i canceled the appointment this morning.  while i was a PT yesterday evening i talked to the tech about it and he was very concerned about the swelling having an affect on the perennial nerve.  the other PT in the room had the same concerns and urged me to reconsider.  i had complete foot drop and recently have gained some control over my ankle.  i have also been cleared for weight bearing starting yesterday so that is another area i am working on.

the PT's had several bad stories about manipulations like one person's knee had fractured during the procedure. 

thank you for your impute it helped me with my decision.  I'll keep working at it as you suggest and hope i make some progress.