Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lump / Knot under knee scope incision site / portal  (Read 8294 times)

Offline Wadecc2010

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lump / Knot under knee scope incision site / portal
« on: December 08, 2015, 02:16:05 PM »
Hey everyone, first time poster. I've really enjoyed reading many of the topics on here. I recently had a knee scope done on my right knee for what they thought could be a torn meniscus, but ended up being an inflamed plica that they cut out. Since the surgery, my healing has gone well and I have full ROM with little pain - I am now 4.5 weeks post surgery. However, under my inner- lower incision site / portal, I have this hard lump or knot that is probably the size of a marble. When my knee is locked straight, I can see it the most (probably a centimeter above my knee cap), but when my knee is bent, I can't see it much at all. I'm quite certain it has been there since the week of my surgery, as I remember seeing it when I took my bandage off 2 days after surgery and at my 1 week post op appointment.

I have tried massaging it and it seems to flatten out a bit - with rigorous massaging - and then within 30 min to an hour it seems to be back to its normal size. I thought it could be potentially scar tissue, but I didn't think scar tissue would act like that nor would it be there the first week after surgery.

Has anyone else had this and find out what it was? Does it go away on its own with time or massaging? How long, if so?

Thanks in advance for your help!  I'm ready to get back to running.

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 366
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Lump / Knot under knee scope incision site / portal
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »
Sounds like the usual scar tissue and swelling that develops around the portal. Is it painful or red at all. Regular message with bio oil may help.  I can't see why it would stop you running if there's no pain, if you've been cleared to do so by your physio of course (4 weeks is quite soon for return to impact sports). Presumably you have follow up with your surgeon so check with him, or physio or GP

Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Wadecc2010

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »
Thanks Vickster!  Good news that this sounds like it's fairly common.  I was thinking it was either scar tissue, inflamed tissues inside or a mix of both.  It's not red or really painful on the lump itself, but it's a little painful on the surrounding areas further within the knee - i.e. by the kneecap, tissues, etc.  I'm assuming that's just still healing and is also being triggered by my massaging.

Do you know if this goes away on it's own and how long it takes?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 04:04:03 PM »
Hi There,

To reassure you even more that Vicky already confirmed it is perfectly normal to have scar tissue build up around the portals that will be red and swollen early on post op. I can still feel lumps now nearly 17 months post op around the three portals. There is still a noticeable hard lump around the blood and fluid drainage portal still.

Doing regular friction massage therapy as that you are doing by massaging around each portal. Patella mobilisation is also beneficial to break down scar tissue that my OS advised me to do after scope #2 by moving your kneecap around side to side. This will help to reduce and break down any scar tissue build up on your operated knee.

I also had an inflamed medial plica as well as a fat pad inflammation during scope #1 it's important to break up the scar tissue or could end up like I did having a 2nd surgery to remove excessive scar tissue that usually develops within the 1st 6 weeks post op. AF could develop after going through a soft tissue surgery! One needs to be vigorous with friction massage as well as doing patella mobilisation on a daily basis for surgery to be more of a success then a failure.

Good luck in your recovery programme.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Wadecc2010

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 08:52:11 PM »
Thanks Clarkey!  When I went in for my physio appointment, they did some work on the lump under the portal.  He said that it felt like it was mostly inflammation and there wasn't a ton of scar tissue (outside of right under the portal).  He thought most of the "ball" or "lump" was inflammation from the joint and will gradually go away on it's own.  Massaging it will still help, but it could take some time, for the inflammation to settle down - potentially 6-9 months.  I'm assuming that's how yours progressed?

I'll continue to massage it and stay active on the bike, elliptical, etc. to help break down any scar tissue that's in there.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 03:54:32 PM »
My recovery was slow progress after scope#1 of medial plica excision and fat pad trimming of my right knee. Pre-op I was feeling catching and pinching sensation on lateral side was resolved after the surgery. My PT did ultrasound and friction massage therapy around the portals.

I also had a cortisone injection pre-op and post-op to reduce the inflammation inside the knee as well as dry needling sessions (IMS) for tightness around the muscle. It took 18 months post op before I was back again to full fitness running long distances. 

For a further 18 months I was fine until I sustained a new injury after falling on my right knee on black ice that has been causing me problems since January 2013 by hacing to have a another scope, it is now looking likely a 3rd scope early part of 2016.

I am more prone to excessive scarring that does not happen to many patients that has gone through a routine surgery just unlucky if you are more prone to excessive scarring.

Carry on doing friction massage therapy around the portals that you’re PT and yourself are already doing. I found it easier when my PT did the friction massage around the portals as I could feel he was getting his fingertips deep down to break down the scar tissue that is harder to do on your own.

[email protected]

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline sjc87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 01:33:44 AM »
Hi, did the portal scar go away with time and PT?

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
It is hard to know if the scar tissue has returned as I am more prone to excessive scarring, will always have some scar tissue around the portals that never goes away completely. I can still feel a lump at the top portal that an incision made to drain out any excessive fluid and blood during surgery #2 of AIR.

Friction massage therapy and graston technique are none invasive methods to break down scar tissue around the portals. AIR surgery is only done if the scar tissue is too deep inside the kneecap that looks likely with my ongoing right knee problems. Patella tendonitis and fat pad problems are often caused by excessive scar tissue known as Arthrofibrosis. It should not be a problem if it scar tissue around the portal region. ROM limited, unable to run, bend or squat feeling pain anterior knee pain and discomfort is a typical signs of AF. My ROM was not too bad post op to scope #2, can still have Arthrofibrosis with a good ROM as I found out.

http://www.grastontechnique.com/home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGeM-DuDmo4

[email protected]

support