Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How much swelling is needed for draining?  (Read 589 times)

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
How much swelling is needed for draining?
« on: December 03, 2015, 10:08:50 PM »
Hi!
So I posted earlier asking how to get rid of swelling. It wasn't going down so I emailed my OS and he's having me come in this Saturday to get it drained. How much swelling does there need to be in order to get it drained? Of course my swelling has gone down some and I don't want to waste my OS's time if it doesn't need to be drained.
TTO, LR, arthoscopy, medial tightening R leg -03/'13
Hardware Removal- 9/'13
TTO, LR, athroscopy, medial tightening L leg- 10/'13
VMO advancement, LR, trochleoplasty

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
Re: How much swelling is needed for draining?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:34:26 AM »
I think about 20 mL but there is no way for you to really estimate that. There is another benefit though too. They can send the fluid to the lab to make sure you don't have a little w grade infection going on. I would keep the appointment if I were you. I've had my knee drained 3 times. It isn't too painful and always relieved a lot of pain for me. Good luck!
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 05:14:38 PM »
Thanks for the response! He did end up draining it, about 30cc's of fluid. Unfortunately within hours my knee had refilled with swelling. Has this happened to you? It's not as bad as it was and the pressure does feel a bit better, but it looks like my knee has more fluid in it.

I know it's not uncommon for it to refill, but do people usually get it drained again or just wait it out?
Thanks!
schnops
Hardware Removal- 9/'13

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 07:29:42 PM »
I've had significant swelling issues, but have arthrofibrosis, and swelling and inflammation is very difficult to control. I didn't have my knee drained frequently, but I have heard of a few people having it drained a few times in a week if the pain and tightness warrants it. I probably would have had mine drained a few more times if my doctor wasn't 3 hours away. I would highly recommend giving your doctor a call just st to give him a heads up that the swelling is returning. Did you have a cortisone shot with the draining? Or maybe some oral steroids? If there is no suspected infection, that may help reduce swelling.
I hope it gets better soon!
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 01:04:49 AM »
Yeah I'm a college student so my OS is about 4 hours away now. It certainly isn't as bad as it was but I'm worried that with more classes and walking this week that all the swelling will just return. My OS and I were both very hopeful that since the blood that he drained looked very old (it was very very dark) that draining it once would do the trick since there wasn't any new blood in there. There's no infection, but anti-inflammatories make me very nauseous. I'll do the RICE method and call my OS in a few days if it is worse.

Thank you so much for all of your help! I really appreciate it!
Hardware Removal- 9/'13