Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Stem Cell Treatment for OA of knee  (Read 1291 times)

Offline vk1023

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Stem Cell Treatment for OA of knee
« on: December 01, 2015, 05:18:33 AM »
My wife (63) has advised to have TKR due to OA pain in left knee. I have read on the net about Stem Cell treatment which involves removing fat from stomach to extract stem cells which are injected in the knee and is supposed to grow cartilage. This is a very expensive treatment and is not covered by health insurance. Has any one gone through this treatment? what was the result? will appreciate comments on this treatment.

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
Re: Stem Cell Treatment for OA of knee
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 08:37:23 PM »
I had a similar procedure where stem cells were taken from my bone marrow in my hip. These were then surgically implanted into my knee. I needed the procedure because of cartilage wear and the alternative was knee replacement which was not ideal (I'm 33).
I know the method is not quite the same but uses your own stem cells too so think probably similar. So I'll briefly tell you about it in case it helps.

The procedure was one step open surgery. After the op I spent time in a brace and then had restrictions for several months to protect the new cartilage. But gradually over the next few months my knee improved, less pain, easier movement.
By 9 months post op it was like having a new knee. Not totally perfect but a million times better than before. And scans showed good new cartilage growth.
Unfortunately I'm now 20 months post op and my graph has failed. This however is likely due to structural reasons in my knee not necessarily the success of the op. I'm now preparing to have the op again along with a fulkerson to offload the area. That time of improvement gave me a glimpse of how it could be so for me it's definitely worth another try.

Hope that's useful to you in some way. Good luck to your wife whichever route she takes forward.

Offline vk1023

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:10:48 PM »
Thanks bizzylizzie. That was useful information.

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 11:51:37 PM »
No problem, if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them if I can. Like I say my graph failed for other reasons, I'd be hopeful of it if there was not other problems.

Offline jon-d

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »
that is such a cool story to hear about stem cells.  I asked my ortho about it and he said there has been no successful results here in the U.S. with that procedure.  he might have been thinking about government approved procedures, but if its in trials and has shown some success with little risk, then its worth a try IMO.
9/13/15 - TP shattered during motocross race
9/13/15 - external hardware installed, calf sliced on both sides (compartment syndrome)
9/16/15 - calf sewn and stapled up
9/18/15 - external hardware removed, internal hardware installed
9/29/15 - first day back home, first day of a long recovrey

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 09:55:09 PM »
I'm in the UK so maybe that's why your ortho hasn't come across it. Not sure it's widely done but my surgeon has had a number of success stories and like I say if it wasn't for other complications mine certainly would have been a success. So yes def worth a try  :)

Offline IMF73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 11:05:29 PM »
Hi bizzylizzie I'd be interested to hear more of your experience if u don't mind. I am 8 weeks post a stem cell op on my knee. They took cells from my hip and repaired a couple of lesions by keyhole.
I'd be interested why yours didn't work and your general experience post op when u felt it was a success.
I'm paranoid that it's not working  :'(  :-[

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 11:28:52 PM »
Oh I know that feeling well, I spent a long time paranoid I had messed my graft up!
Sounds like we had a similar procedure as I also had stem cells taken from the bone marrow in my hip. Mine was an open op though. Which area of the knee were your legions? Mine was done to defects under the patella.
I'm now 20 months post op and my graft has now failed. They're not 100% sure why but likely because of the alignment of my knee so am currently waiting to have the op done again but with a fulkerson ostomoty at the same time.
I had a few complications with mine with an infection and then excessive scar tissue but by about 6 months I was noticing a difference. And by 12 months there was good cartilage growth and my pain/function was much improved.
I am happy to try to answer any questions you have so feel free to ask anything else you would like to know.
I hope your knee is recovering well and fingers crossed for the new cartilage.

Offline IMF73

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 09:42:56 AM »
Hi Bizzy lizzie
Sorry to hear yours failed. I hope the next op works for you. Yes it sounds similar. Mine was all keyhole, they took some stemcells from my hip & then via keyhole went into the knee.
I had 2 lesions....1 on the underside of the patella and one in the trochlea groove.
Well so far I'm 9 weeks post op. I had a leg brace on for 6 weeks & was on crutches. I am now on 1 crutch and no leg brace, although around the house I don't use the crutch.Things are progressing well. The physio is pleased, I saw the surgeon at 6 weeks who also said the early signs are good. He will being doing an MRI at 6 months post op, I suppose that will be the 1st sign if it has worked or not. Its slightly swollen but the swelling has really improved and its not that bad now. I get no pain which is good. It is still a bit stiff in general although I have very good movement back in the leg. I can bend it to around 115degrees & get it flat. It does click a bit when walking and Im actually still limping which is my concern. I assume this is due to it still being early days & the leg being so weak still.
How long did you limp for? Did you get clicking after the op? Its not really bad or painful but it is there when walking. How did you know yours had failed?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 10:49:07 AM by IMF73 »

Offline bizzylizzie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 09:54:28 PM »
My recovery was a bit more complicated as I had an infection which had to be washed out and then excessive scar tissue which prevented movement so had to have that removed and have the knee manipulated during that surgery. As a result my recovery was longer. You sound as if you are doing well and it's good your surgeon is pleased and no pain. I was surprised how long it took to get the leg back to full strength. Even when I thought I had the muscle strength back I clearly didn't! I don't remember clicking but my knee gave way a lot which was the muscle weakness and walking without a limp took quite a while again coz of the muscle weakness. You are still very early days so I would try not to worry too much. Easy said than done when you have no real way of knowing how it's going. That 6 month scan feels a lifetime.
I suspected mine had failed as after improving I gradually got more n more pain and could feel it starting to grind. Basically it went back to how it was before. And after being so much better it was obvious. My surgeon gave it a while to see whether it was just inflammation or something but then did an mri which clearly showed the cartilage damage. Very frustrating but not really a surprise as I could feel it.
It is hard coz it's not an operation where it's instantly better and it's a slow process of that cartilage growing. But stick at it and listen to the dos and donts. Fingers crossed your good start continues and those stem cells get new cartilage growing.

support