Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Getting rid of swelling  (Read 408 times)

Offline schnops

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
Getting rid of swelling
« on: November 29, 2015, 09:56:58 PM »
Hi!
I'm just about 2 weeks post op from a VMO plication and still have quite a bit of swelling. I've been doing the usual ice, elevate, compression but it's just not going down.It feels like a ton of pressure in my knee, especially on the medial side where all the work was done. How long should I give it to go down before calling my OS?

I'm on aspirin and pain killers but since ibuprofen makes me really nauseous I am not taking that. Is there anything else I should be doing? I know heat is bad but I feel like it would feel really nice. I'm a college student too so there's a good amount of walking and a lot of time with my leg down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Schnops
TTO, LR, arthoscopy, medial tightening R leg -03/'13
Hardware Removal- 9/'13
TTO, LR, athroscopy, medial tightening L leg- 10/'13
VMO advancement, LR, trochleoplasty

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Getting rid of swelling
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 04:00:51 PM »
Hi Schnops,

It is still early days and it will take a while for the swelling to subside, you are only into your 3rd week post op. It is hard not walking longer distances if you are a college student on your feet for the majority of the day. The swelling around the portal areas of the knee where incisions have been made takes a while for the swelling to go down.

If you overdo it early on post op you are at an increased risk of excessive scarring inside the knee, this could be why you are feeling pressure right now. If you are worried or concerned go and see your PT or OS to put your mind at ease.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

support