Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL Surgery  (Read 405 times)

Offline gjr97036

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL Surgery
« on: December 04, 2015, 12:10:59 AM »
I am a 48 year old male who is a Law Enforcement Officer.  I was notified I have a torn ACL, torn medial head of my meniscus and a stretched, but not torn LCL.  They put me in a brace and told me they want to do physical therapy for 6 weeks and then re-assess.  I have been told they most likely will not do surgery unless the LCL doesn't heal and I can live without an ACL.  I have read a lot of information concerning non surgery for the ACL.  There are a lot of people for/against and several who have been okay without ACL surgery.  My question is this, as a Police Officer, do you think it is reasonable to not have the ACL surgery.  I am concerned about having to run, chase, possibly fight with someone and my knee giving out or having enough pain to make me take my mind off of the task at hand.  I need to hear some thoughts!!!  PLEASE!!!

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: ACL Surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 01:32:17 PM »
I'm a retiree from a career in teaching which in no way can be compared to your line of work. But I've been w/o an ACL for 10 years & am managing just fine. I came off my horse, landed wrong & did all the damage. I was back to riding in a month's time & although I do have a custom brace I haven't worn it in years.

Now in old age I have back problems that require me to bear weight on my bad knee. Still it's holding up just fine. And to give you further confidence I have a friend who played semi-pro basketball with no ACL in one knee & ACLr in the other. I've never even seen him limp. Life can go on w/o an ACL but keeping supporting muscles strong is the key.

Whether it's reasonable or not with your career is something you have to determine but certainly do the PT & make your assessment thereafter. Wishing you well.
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.