Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MCL? ACL? neither? both?  (Read 580 times)

Offline Mesonic98

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MCL? ACL? neither? both?
« on: November 15, 2015, 04:04:06 AM »
I am an aerial circus performer. Two weeks ago I had an accident and seriously twisted my knee while performing. When it happened I felt a sickening pop and knew I had done something serious. I was able to finish my performance and left the stage on my feet.  After I had a fair amount of pain and my knee buckled sickening to the inside if I tried to put weight on it. Since the night it happened I have had five separate diagnoses. They range from MCL tear only, MCL tear and maybe ACL tear, MCL tear and definitely no ACL tear, definitely no MCL tear and definitely ACL tear. So five different doctors five different diagnoses. I am.going for an MRI next weekend but I am so confused and so worried. My livliehood depends on my ability to perform. How can the doctors diagnoses all be so different. I.am.familiar with all the tests (Lachman etc) and can't understand how they can all say different things. And is an MRI actually going to site definitively what happened? I've heard MRI's are not any better than physical diagnoses.  I'm confused, tired and frankly scared. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Offline Scubagrl4

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 43
Re: MCL? ACL? neither? both?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 10:02:57 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear about your injury. Guarding, muscle spasms, and swelling can all alter a physical exam. MRI these days is pretty good with accuracy in diagnosing ligament injuries, I would imagine you will have your answer when that is done. If both are torn, I would recommend finding a doc that can treat it without prolonged immobilization. That was a killer for me. I would also work on gentle bending and straightening of the knee as they will want you to have close to full range of motion prior to surgery if you need it.
Good luck!
4/14/14 L ACL rupture, grade 2+ MCL tear
6/6/14 ACLr allograft
9/4/14 MUA
10/6/14 LOA/AIR, synovectomy, lateral/medial retinacular release, partial lateral menisectomy, chondroplasty, deep tissue
biopsies.
11/20/14 insufflation, MUA
10/19/15: LOA/air, PLM, chondro, synovectomy, med/lat releases

Offline monsters

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MCL? ACL? neither? both?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »
Hey Mesonic --

First off, so sorry that happened.

Last week I was training my aerial silk routine, attempted a triple star after 3 hours in the gym (I had been overtraining for a show for weeks), and I took a fall and fully tore my MCL. It was hard to describe to the docs since they normally don't have much experience with those kind of forces (i.e. not the typical skiing/soccer accident where you're starting from standing up with your feet on the ground, mostly).

I'm surprised that many people gave you that many diagnoses, though actually 4/5 of them consistently think you have an MCL tear, so hopefully it's just that, since an isolated MCL tear is not likely to require surgery. The MRI should actually be quite clear so it's great you have the opportunity to get one.  RE: "I can't understand how they can all say different things", the night I fell the doc actually didn't think I tore anything at all, he thought I just sprained my knee, because I didn't test positive for valgus. I suspect I was just contracting everything so hard and in so much pain I couldn't relax enough, or something. The test I took a few days after was a very clear positive valgus.

I know you're probably several weeks into recovery by now, but I guess my advice would be don't get too down on yourself, don't try to come back too early, do all your PT. I've definitely been really depressed lately because I can't train or condition and I worry I'm going to lose so much strength and flexibility. I got cleared to do pullups but my PT said not to do splits or inversions, and I just feel so numb everyday and count the (18) days until my next assessment and read scholarly articles on ligament healing experiments.

You can hmu if you wanna trade advice on exercises and how to entertain yourself in a full-leg hinged brace...