Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial Plateau Fracture - issues almost 2 years on  (Read 745 times)

Offline cartman02au

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tibial Plateau Fracture - issues almost 2 years on
« on: November 22, 2015, 08:29:23 AM »
Hi everybody,
I wish I came across this site two years ago when I first smashed my knee. I had a quad bike accident in December 2013 which resulted in a left Type VI Tibial Plateau Fracture. I now have 18 screws and 3 metal plates in my leg. Progress has been slow, but I was to the point that while nowhere near to the point I was at before my accident, I could live with how I was.

I have had some problems with the stability of my knee. I was told that the ACL, MCL and LCL were stretched and that at some point I would require a reconstruction. The orthopedic surgeon wanted me to do physio and see how I went with that first. Physio made a huge difference and I was "discharged" from the orthopedic surgeon's care in September last year.

Yesterday, I went to get up and couldn't. I have no strength in the leg, it feels very unstable and is painful. I have a lump on the outside of my leg below my knee. This morning I went to the hospital and had some X-Rays and was told that it appeared no different to how it looked last year and that it must just be arthritis and swelling. I am to see an orthopedic surgeon on Tuesday.

Has anyone had this? It came on all of a sudden, I would have thought any form of arthritis would be progressive.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Tibial Plateau Fracture - issues almost 2 years on
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 04:49:32 PM »
Hi cartman, sorry you had to join our exclusive club.  In my limited experience while arthritis can be gradual, sudden swelling can happen in an instant.  It's possible that your arthritis has been progressing without any major symptoms, but the sudden inflammation caused it to become acute.  My PT gave me stretching exercises that I still do every morning and I can feel the difference after the exercises.  Good luck with your ortho appointment.
Sending healing rays your way 
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline cartman02au

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 09:28:16 AM »
Thanks Mary,
I have had a week of feeling like I am getting nowhere. The ortho appointment seemed to go nowhere, so I went back to my GP who ordered an ultrasound and referred me back to the original surgeon.

The ultrasound showed that there is fluid sitting on top of one of the metal plates. The radiologist suspects an infection and has advised me to go back to the GP tomorrow. I have no idea what happens from here if it is an infection, I am s**t scared of more surgery, but think that is probably the way this is headed.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 11:16:52 PM »
I've never had to deal with that one.  I can only pass on advice that I have been given - make a written list of all your questions,ask the Doctor to explain all your options and potential for success, take someone with you to take notes so you can concentrate on what he is saying and formulate additional questions.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline cartman02au

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 08:45:02 AM »
The past week would have to have been the toughest of my recovery from this injury. It turned out after being given the run around for a week (which ended in me being advised by a doctor to discharge myself from the local hospital after spending 24 hours in ED waiting to be transferred to a hospital with an orthopedics department and to present myself to the major hospital in the area) that I had a severe staph infection.

I have spent the last week in hospital. I've been operated on three times - one to clean out the infection and remove 2 of the plates and another 2 to clean out the infection as well as being given IV antibiotics. For me, it's been more difficult than the original repair itself.

Hopefully things get better from here.

support