Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: bilateral patellar tendon rupture recovery  (Read 2559 times)

Offline macaveli500

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
bilateral patellar tendon rupture recovery
« on: November 20, 2015, 12:02:20 AM »
Hey all.

I am a new member of this site and I am really excited about all the info that I see. I ruptured both my patellas in a flag football injury 3+ years ago. I am eager to find out how someone close to my age (36 now) or anyone for that matter has progressed. I realize that this might not be the best way to find out... (maybe there is an existing post) or (maybe I am posting this in the wrong spot) . Can someone point in the right direction? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Chris

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Re: bilateral patellar tendon rupture recovery
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 07:30:12 AM »
Hi macaveli500

Welcome to KneeGuru

Suggest that you repost onto

Ruptured Patella Tendon/Quadricep/surgery - there are about 3/4 similar persons who have sustained this very rare injury.  Where do you live?   Have you regained full ROM?

Best/JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 212
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 07:30:31 AM »
Hi macaveli500

Welcome to KneeGuru

Suggest that you repost onto

Ruptured Patella Tendon/Quadricep/surgery - there are about 3/4 similar persons who have sustained this very rare injury.  Where do you live?   Have you regained full ROM?

Best/JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline macaveli500

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 09:20:37 PM »
Thanks John..

I live in California. I am fairly close back to full health and range of motion. Going down hill or steps is still a little tender and I feel like there is not enough strength in my knees to handle it. I am most disappointed in not being able to sustain any kind of running anymore. I can still jog,sprint for very short distances and then it starts to get a little sore and I have to stop. I probably cant run 1/4 mile without that soreness. When I sprint I get worried about slowing down and so I have to slowly come to a stop over a relatively long distance. I wonder if anyone has got back to full sprints or long jogs after having this happen. I will re-post it where you suggested. Thanks again John...

Chris

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 03:15:34 AM »
Chris, I suffered a bilateral also.  In July 2013.  I have yet to take off running yet, but I can jog, very slowly.  I do most of my cardio on an elliptical and I feel really safe.  I think the safety of being a double is the worst, since we had nothing to stabilize ourselves when we were injured and recovering.  I live in St. Louis and winters and ice and snow and wet weather for me are the worst.
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13

Offline madvillain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 203
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 08:57:07 PM »
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear your guys' recoveries haven't gone smoothly.  I suffered a bilateral exactly 1 year and 4 days from today.  I was back on the tennis court at 6 months (albeit moving slowly!) and I've been doing 10 mile bike rides and 3 miles runs for the last couple months without much hassle.  I was 32 when I suffered the injuries and overweight (5-8 and 225lbs) but I have an extremely athletic background luckily and something in me snapped other then the tendons and I have completely invested myself in weight loss, rehab and learning every single thing possible about this injury with a vigor that surprised me and certainly my surgeon.

My right knee gives me almost zero trouble at all and most days it feels like it never had the rupture during everyday walking around.  The left knee gives me some trouble from time to time especially after a hard day at the gym but it's nothing a little ice and rest don't clear up.

I say this stuff not to brag but just to give you guys some optimism that if you work hard and continue to rehab you will get better.

Many of the problems you are experiencing with stairs and hills and overall weakness are due to weakness in a specific area of your quad -- the VMO.  This area atrophies rapidly after the injury and you must target it in rehab in order to rebuild it.  I do two specific exercises for it:

I highly encourage you to incorporate these into your rehab, at least a couple of them:

http://sportskneetherapy.com/the-best-vmo-exercises/

I also recommend doing eccentric style training and plyometrics. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBqRrxxKois

You also might want to invest in a slide board in addition to a slant board.  You can buy foam slant boards on Amazon for $15.  Slide boards are a bit more pricey but some gyms have them.

As far as supplements I encourage you to take creatine and cissus.   Cissus is magic for the joints IMO. 

I also encourage you to foam roll as much as possible and to use a gua sha scraping tool once a week on the knee.  You can google the technique but basically you just "scrape" downwards along the patella this helps break up the scar tissue.

Cold plunges also work wonders for inflammation and alternating hot and ice therapy is great as well. 

I wish you guys the best remember to push yourself but if you feel pain more than a 4 on the scale back off.  But, you will experience normal pain when you are doing these exercises especially the eccentric squats.  Just know that eventually it will lessen as you strengthen not only the leg muscles but also the tendons themselves.

support