Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Muscle atrophy after tibia plateau fracture  (Read 2902 times)

Offline Brandwin

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Muscle atrophy after tibia plateau fracture
« on: November 11, 2015, 02:57:49 AM »
Hello all, 

I am about 12 weeks out of surgery. And I'm worried about the muscle loss in my leg.

A little background -

My recovery hasn't been too difficult at all. Very little pain, which was very suprising reading others stories,  never had to take any pain meds at home. 

I went to the doctor about 10 days ago and he cleared me work, which is just a desk job. He Told me he wants me to start putting light weight,  standing using both feet and gradually work my way to one crutch. Then a cane and then nothing. Told me I didn't need physical therapy because I've taken care of myself at home and my range of motion is very good (thought it was a bit weird no PT). Dr said Usually Pt is only to get Rom back. He said out of all tibia plateau fracture surgeries he's done. He thinks mine is the best results he has ever seen.

My next appointment is in 4 weeks. Doctor said he wouldn't be surprised if I come in there not using anything to get around. The appointment today definitely lifted my spirits.

So I was suprised about no PT, but I am concerned about the muscle atrophy in leg and how to get that back without over working the other leg. 

Any tips?

Thanks!

Offline mjeffrey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 52
Re: Muscle atrophy after tibia plateau fracture
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 03:58:23 PM »
Hi Brandwin,

Sounds like you are in good shape given the injury. I made some suggestions here http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=64635.0.

You could use the money you save on PT to get a NMES machine (if you do, get one with at least 2 channels, you need 2 channels per leg).

As for exercises, quad sets are important to start http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/exercises/z-exercises/quad-sets and can be done safely in the early stages of recovery.

Personally I'd still try to find a good PT with experience of TPF injuries and book a couple of sessions. Tell them you need  a program to do at home (make sure it covers a progression as you get better). If you decide to get a NMES machine the PT can show you how best to use it although there are some good videos on youtube as well.

As you improve (probably too soon now) access to gym equipment can be useful.

good luck
Mark
2014:
20 Feb: Comminuted patella fracture, 4 K-wires, Cercalge, Figure of 8
11 Mar: Staples removed Flex 50
22 Apr: Control Xray, flex 80, progress stalled
09 May: MUA: flex 120, 3 weeks CPM
23 Jun: Slow Running, Flex 135
06 Jul: Flex 140
08 Aug: Hardware removed
10 Sep: full flexion

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: Muscle atrophy after tibia plateau fracture
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 11:22:14 PM »
Hi Brandwin - welcome to the wonderful world of TPFs.  Sounds like you're coming along fine.  I would take mjeffrey's suggestion about getting private PT.  During my recovery I was lucky and had home PT until I was weightbearing. After that every week for about 6 weeks.  It really made a difference for me in retraining my gait.  I was doing exercises 3 times a day.  My PT's motto was push to the "ouch" then back off a bit.
If you have access to a pool they can really be helpful.  Water walking and kicking your way across the pool with a board really makes a difference.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS