Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lipogems- anyone tried it?  (Read 45413 times)

Offline shlomo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Lipogems- anyone tried it?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2015, 04:07:22 AM »
Indeed.  I had this procedure at one of the facilities mentioned previously.  Will post results.  So far have gotten positive changes for advanced arthritis.  I need to wait another few months before I post definitive results though.  How are those of you who've had this procedure doing?

PS Razuzin--any reason you're doing PRP afterwards?  The place where I got this done didn't say I should follow up with PRP in particular to me.  I know other stem cell methods use this and it's been found to be beneficial, but is lipogems different and not need this?  Or perhaps it depends on the area to be injected? 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:58:54 AM by shlomo »

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2015, 02:15:26 AM »
shlomo - I view Lipogems as a variation of adipose derived stem cell treatments, which is typically followed by PRP. PRP provide body's growth factors delivered to the place of injury thus supposedly enhancing the process of stem cells growth and multiplication.

I agree there is no exact science here, it's more of a trial and error process at this time. It's true that the doctors weren't necessarily recommending PRP after Lipogems, it was my own decision, they approved of it, saying that it wouldn't hurt as a minimum.

Now it's been 5 weeks since Lipogems, and I followed with PRP's. I must say I have a significant improvement, especially in terms of pain and inflammation. The function improved as well but not as much. No more pain at night, I'm able to do some gym exercises like bike and elliptical although at about 50%-60% resistance levels of the pre-injury, going up and down stairs is less uncomfortable.
I'm excited with the progress as I was told I should be expecting some improvements within 3-4 months, and perhaps more. I'm still far from being 100%, can't run or go back to tennis, but the progress is obvious and encouraging.

I can't attribute the progress to stem cells vs. PRP by obvious reasons. But I must say that I started having a lot of progress after 2nd PRP injection, after initial inflammation from the injection subsided.

Will update with my progress.

Offline shlomo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2015, 03:21:07 AM »
Thanks so much for your update razuzin!  That's encouraging for sure.  I was told most people respond by 12 weeks, and some after, for up to 6 months.  I too am excited by the thought of progress ahead.  Maybe I should consider PRP afterwards too, though I may have not have enough $$$ left.  Yeah, it is tough to say whether your improvement is due to PRP or just that's when you responded to the stem cells.  I actually have more joints to inject so might actually get another lipogems treatment soon.  Will keep updating with my progress as well.  Best of luck and hope to hear of more improvement for you soon.

Offline tomtomtom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 10:55:11 AM »
I do not believe that PRP is important for the success of Lipogems therapy.Of course, it has some benefit from it, but will not do anything
essential.I think that some clinics want to sell in pairs to increase profits.Purified adipose tissue by Lipogems is very potent for healing purpose.It is now an experimental therapy but following certain patterns, it is a therapy that has the greatest potential in the framework of therapy with stem cells, including orthopedics.

Offline tomtomtom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2015, 11:06:39 AM »
@razuzin - From what I've seen, it seems to be that Lipogems therapy at most patients, has some kind of fluctuation between 5 weeks and 3 months and between 3 and 6 months.From the start of therapy, should have a significant improvement between 3 and 6 months.
Of course, this does not mean that it will be so with you, but it will be interesting to follow your experience.

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015, 04:37:28 PM »
I do not believe that PRP is important for the success of Lipogems therapy.Of course, it has some benefit from it, but will not do anything
essential.I think that some clinics want to sell in pairs to increase profits.Purified adipose tissue by Lipogems is very potent for healing purpose.It is now an experimental therapy but following certain patterns, it is a therapy that has the greatest potential in the framework of therapy with stem cells, including orthopedics.
tomtomtom,
Perhaps you're right about PRP, i must say the doctors at the facility where i dod Lipogems didn't offer PRP with it. It was purely my decision and at a different facility.
Interestingly, i also did a Lipogems injection to my hip at the same time as i likely have early stage of arthritis in my hip, and so far I'm not seeing much improvement in my hip, and haven't done PRP to the hip, just to the knee.
It could be due to the fact that the hip typically doesnt respond as well to the biologics treatment, judging in parcticular from the Regenexx data.
Also one of the doctors had Lipogems himself to his wrist, he reported not much improvement after 3 months and huge improvement in 4 months.

In my case i think i had a combination of some long-term problems -grade 4 lesion in trochlear groove and acute factors as overall articular surface softening which caused a painful flare up. PRP likely addressed these katter issues, tightening up overall cartilage structure so I'm seeing a guick effect.
I continue to improve every week. I'm on vacation in Mexico now, played beach volleyball for a couple of days and feeling good, some aching but nothing major. Soft sand alleiviates pounding on a knee, also i was wearing a brace.
Also swimming in the ocean seems like a great exercise for the joints.

Offline tomtomtom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 07:18:05 PM »
razuzin,
Thank you to hear from you and hope that you will keep us informed of your progress from time to time.I prefer to hear the experience of patients,but read the studies.Also, I am personally interested because  have a similar diagnosis as you. I plan to go to the therapy next year.

Happy healing and Happy New Year with renewed cartilage and meniscus  :)

Offline dsamp15

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:19 AM »
For anyone who is wondering I recently contacted JockDoctors in CT via E-mail for some info about Lipogems with them.

Since August they have performed Liopgems over 40 times and it was reported that they have seen a great clinical response thus far. The cost of treatment there is quoted at $3500. And they have used it to treat arthritis of all the major joints plus meniscal and and rotator cuff tears. I am planning on scheduling a consultation with them within the next month or two and hope to receive the procedure sometime in the spring when I can get some finances in line.

Hopefully those who have already had the procedure are seeing the same positive results that the doctors in CT are seeing. 

Offline Aly0108

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2016, 02:02:32 AM »

Offline jly52

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2016, 06:25:10 PM »
I'm scheduled to have Lipogems treatment in March for my knee. Will anyone who has had the Lipogems procedure please comment on the pain during and after treatment? Thanks.

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2016, 08:11:24 PM »
I'm scheduled to have Lipogems treatment in March for my knee. Will anyone who has had the Lipogems procedure please comment on the pain during and after treatment? Thanks.
Good luck.

For me the most painful part was fat aspiration. I figure a lot depends on the technique. Two doctors performed it, one standing on each side, taking turns. I had much less pain during and after the procedure from the side worked by one of the doctors, I guess he was more gentle?

It's certainly bearable, it's more of a dull pain. First, they inject a pain killer (lidocaine), whenever they go to the edges of the area numbed by lidocaine then it hurt the most, you can tell them not to go far. Also depends how much fat you have, if it's sufficient, they don't have to cover a large area.

The injections to the knee were relatively painful to meniscus,  I think they hit it directly, and much better to other parts of the knee and a hip.

After the procedure the stomach area aches for a week or so being pretty intense on the first night, but I didn't want to take a pain killer so I'm sure it could be addressed.

As to my progress, it's been about 10 weeks, I kind of reached a plateau but overall a large improvement. I'm starting to go back to sports, was able to play tennis 2-3 times but then need 2-3 days to fully recover. Still contemplating a surgery, will see for another month or two.

While my knee improved by at least 50% in terms of pain and maybe 30%-40% function, my hip changed very little, but it was less troublesome to begin with.

Offline diesiel

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2016, 02:06:17 AM »
are multiple sessions required?  Are there any indications for rehab? (weight bearing etc).  10 weeks isnt long enough to get a full idea, im thinking

Offline jly52

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 08:28:17 PM »
Razuzin, Thank you for sharing. It helps to have some idea of what to expect. Congratulations on your progress thus far. I hope you get past the plateau and see even more progress.

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »
Thanks.

Just spoke with my surgeon, I'm likely to go ahead with a revision osteochondral allograft surgery in spite of my improvement. Interestingly, the surgeon was very approving of PRP and stem cells post-surgery.

He mentioned that he recently saw more evidence supporting better recovery with PRP. Addition of HGH would even be better according to him. Not sure if he referred to some studies or his own experience.

Offline razuzin

• Regular Poster
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2016, 10:22:26 PM »
are multiple sessions required?  Are there any indications for rehab? (weight bearing etc).  10 weeks isnt long enough to get a full idea, im thinking
diesiel,
There is no single agreed rehab schedule after stem cells. I guess most of doctors agree that first several hour there should be minimum activity, possibly non-WB.
Regenexx recommends up to one week non-WB while most of other doctors don't have such a recommendation.
For my procedure the doctor told me to bring crutches but then afterwards admitted that I can walk without bending my knee too much since my location was non-WB.