Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Orthovisc success stories???  (Read 3674 times)

Offline socalrunnergal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Orthovisc success stories???
« on: October 27, 2015, 07:42:41 PM »
So, almost 2 weeks ago I had the third of my 3 Orthvisc injections for grade IV chondromalacia/arthosis of lateral patellofemoral joint (mostly non-symptomatic) and gr IV defect of medial femoral condyle (painful!!).  So far, aside from the pain of spending $1200+ for the shots!!!, I haven't noticed any change.

Option 1:  The first dr I saw suggested microfracture or trying to get into the Neocart study for harvesting my own cells/replacement of the defect.  Apparently, because of the damage on my lateral side, I don't qualify for the study, so I guess Option 1 leaves me with microfracture.

Option 2: The second dr I saw was very focused on the lateral damage, and thought MAYBE an osteotomy and/or knee cap realignment would help.  But he suggested I try Orthovisc before anything else, and see if that provided me with any relief.  The shots were administered by Dr. #3 and I follow up with him in 2 weeks to determine if they worked.

Has anyone had the HA shots and had NO improvement for 2 weeks, then suddenly get pain relief?  Are HA injections even used much anymore?  (It seems most Orthovisc posts on this site are from 4 or more years ago.)

If the shots don't work, where do I go from here?  The first 2 doctors had such different opinions.  Do I go to Dr #4 for yet another opinion???

I feel like I'm being passed around like a hot potato by the doctors.  I am (was???) an ultramarathon runner, and I really just want to get back to my active lifestyle.  I'm going on 4 months of being a couch potato, and it does NOT agree with me.  (Just ask my husband or my son!)  This whole episode began with a swollen knee following a run-in with a sand bar while surfing.  Surfing!! 45 years as a competitive soccer player and I get hurt SURFING????

Has anybody had any luck with PRP injections for cartilage issues?  Any other recommendations?  HELP?

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Orthovisc success stories???
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 07:59:13 PM »
I've not had orthovisc, but I've had 3 lots of HA injections over the last 5 years into my left knee, most recently a single Ostenil plus jab coming up for 2 years ago. Seems to work really well for me, this year I'm on target to cycle around 2500 miles with very little pain in that knee (other limbs not so tickety boo but that's another tale)

Based on the last MRI, I have two meniscus tears, a worn kneecap, softening around the tibia and the original injury a 1.5cm2 defect on the weight bearing lateral femoral condyle, which did a DIY microfracture on itself in response to the trauma, although that fibrocartilage is breaking down but seemingly not too problematic. I wasn't a candidate for MACI back in 2010 due to knock knees and the tibia softening (quite glad as it would have been a massive, painful op which extremely long rehab)

With the HA, I would expect at least 6 weeks or more to see benefit.

PRP might help with the pain and inflammation but it won't heal cartilage defects on its own. Probably worth a try if happy with relief rather than cure and can afford it.

You can try stem cells but the results are sketchy and in the U.S. It seems very expensive. There are quite a few posts, although from what I've read, nothing very positive where arthritis is concerned

I guess you could explore pain management solutions or even seek out a surgeon willing to replace or patch up bits in younger patients
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline kozmo9

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »
Any updates?  I am wondering whether to give the synvisc shots a try.  They are pricey as I would end up paying $450 for the series.

I was a marathon runner until I developed knee swelling last May and was found to have grade 4 lateral compartment arthritis and grade 3 of patellar femoral groove.  I am scheduled for PRP in December but was thinking of trying the synvisc first.

Offline socalrunnergal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 08:43:41 PM »
The viscosupplementation shots didn't do anything for me.  I paid $1200 out of pocket for the 3 shots, really hoping to have a positive outcome.   I'm having arthroscopic surgery on Monday.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 09:26:48 PM »
What are they planning to do. Make sure you know the plan in advance so you don't end up with a surprise lateral release or something that may be unsuitable
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline socalrunnergal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 07:55:06 PM »
I've already had a lateral release -- it worked wonders for me (despite the horror stories others' have encountered).  This will be a chondroplasty to clean up a flap that continues to tear -- and to smooth out some rough edges causing damage to other cartilage, and possibly a microfracture (depending on exact size, location and condition of adjacent cartilage) of my MFC lesion.   (I had successful microfracture in my ankle 9 years ago, so I'm well aware of the issues there as well).

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 08:19:19 PM »
Hope the surgery and recovery go smoothly
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15