Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Does this diagnosis sound right?  (Read 932 times)

Offline miltonia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Does this diagnosis sound right?
« on: February 18, 2004, 08:26:28 PM »
HI there. I've posted before, but I am more confused than ever now. I saw two different orthopedic doctors. Both had the same diagnosis: chondromalacia. My right knee has been bothering me for over a month. It is making a crackling sound-aka crepitus-- when extended or when going upstairs. The knee is on and off tender for no reason... not related to activity or rest. I had an xray of my knee, and both doctors agreed that there was plenty of cartlige there and no signs of arthritis (yet, I guess). The second doctor noted that my kneecap looked like it was tracking a bit, although the 1st ortho and the radiologist made no such finding. Anyway, I just came from workig ot, and while on the treadmill ona small incline, my LEFT knee started to feel like it was catching and almost locked at one point. I stopped exercising and now that knee is sort of sore. The treatment, I was told, is nothing for now except quad exercises. Now I am nervous that what I have really is something worse because my left knee is doing things I've never felt (the locking, which is new). But wouldn't they have found something obvious on the xrays? They twisted my knee and pressed and I felt no pain. They were sure it wasn't a ligament or meniscus injury and that it emanated form the kneecap. Other background info: I am 31, with 2 kids, and about 60 lbs. overweight. Despite this, I have exercsied regularly and even jogged for the past 7 years. Any insight is much appreciated. Thank God for this web site!

Offline ozzybug

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never do what you would un-do if caught
Re: Does this diagnosis sound right?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 10:30:55 PM »
Miltonia-
I didn't see mention of it, but did either of these OS's have an MRI done?  From what I've read, if there is minimal change or degenration/thinning of the articular cartilage, it will not show up on x-ray, but will show up on MRI.  I know MRI's are notorious for missing meniscal tears because mine was although I had a tear of the lateral meniscus.

My OS had me do another MRI recently to see what was/is going on in my knee and the MRI results did show the areas of articular degenration and thinning.

If you feel that your questions haven't been answered then seek another opinion.  We only get two knees, and when one or both of them get bad, it's not a good situation.  You know your body- stick with your gutt instinct.

Best of luck to you!
Lezlee
Rt knee:Meniscal repair 8/03: Repair prev. meniscus repair 10/03;Chondro shave, scar tissue removal 12/03;LR,debridement chondro & scar tissue 04/02/04;TTT done 09/14/04;VMO advancement 04/2005- Does it ever end?

Offline 2soreknees

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 02:18:27 AM »
I agree with Ozzybug...sounds like you need an MRI, an x-ray really doesn't give them a good view of your knee "innards". When your knee locks something is definitely wrong.  From experience, one of the first things they will tell you is to lose weight which is really easy to say but hard to do especially when you cannot exercise like you used to.  Definitely do the Quad exercises...do they have you in PT??  I, too, would seek another opinion.

Good Luck
2/02 (R)arthro. meniscus tear, microfractures, grade 4 chondro. under patella.
TTT/LR on (L) 3/03. 
11/04 Arthro (R) MF
4/06 (L) clean up and trim back scar tissue from LR
11/06 (R) HTO
8/08 (R) Hardware removalMFR
8/09 L microfactures
12/09 LTKR
11/11 R TKR and last knee surgery!

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 01:59:03 PM »
Hi, I share your frustrations with Chondromalacia. I have Chondromalacia, have had since I was 8 years old.. I also have chronic mal tracking of both of my kneecaps..it's genetic.. ::)
My knees in the beginning were similar to yours, the catching is (or for me anyways) was the knee cap maltracking a little to far laterally and getting just hung up on the lateral condyle of the femur. :-/ IT hurts...and it does happen.  Chondro is not an easy condition to deal with as honestly other than addressing the cause if there is one...there isn't much you can do other than attempt to manage the discompfort. I would agree with the other ladies, that getting  a good MRI might not be a bad idea as it might be a meniscus tear. :-/
I guess that's about all I have to say...
hope that helped
HUGS
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?