Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: LARS Ligament for LCl reconstruction  (Read 1717 times)

Offline irene86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
LARS Ligament for LCl reconstruction
« on: October 25, 2015, 06:05:41 PM »
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone has had a LARS ligament for the reconstruction of the LCL? I can't seem to find anything online about its use in LCL reconstruction.

This is my third op this year on my LCL, and I am wondering if anyone else has been through this? And if they have had success or any post op problems at all with the LARS?
05/2014 - fell during a half marathon and hurt my right knee
02/2015 - PLC + LCLreconstruction using hamstring graft
05/2015 -Revision LCL reconstruction using hamstring graft
10/2015 - Revision LCL reconstruction using LARS ligament and revision PLC reconstruction

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: LARS Ligament for LCl reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 06:21:41 AM »
I've heard of LARS being used for ACLs, but it seems to have dropped out of fashion recently.

I read somewhere (I'm away from home right now and on my laptop so no real access to my files) that many of the former supporters of the use of LARs were no longer using it for various reasons. But that was for ACLs if I remember correctly.

I had my PLC reconstructed during a revision surgery in 2008 using my own tissue (I live in Germany and allografts are generally not used here). They used part of my hamstring tendons to replace the LCL and then had me braced for 2 seasons of skiing before allowing me to choose whether to stay in the brace or not. According to my surgeon the LCL is very vulnerable to damage after it has been reconstructed or replaced, hence his particular caution.

It would help others maybe to offer ideas or views if you say where you are based and who was your surgeon (or hospital if you don't want to name them). My surgeon is Dr. Hörst Müller-Kittnau of the Rosenheim Orthopaedic Centre and he is one of the top guys for revisions in my neck of the woods.

Sue
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline irene86

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: LARS Ligament for LCl reconstruction
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:01:23 PM »
Thank you for your reply. I am based in the UK and have had my surgery at the Royal derby hospital each time. My surgeon has a fantastic reputation in the uk and works with Olympic athletes and professional footballers.

I think I've been very unlucky in my case the previous revisions using the hamstring grafts weren't strong enough and both failed. The use of the LARS ligament was really my only option left. I am currently in a hinged knee brace for 6 weeks restricting flexion and movement. Once the six weeks is up I will come off crutches and wean off the brace.

I was intrigued to see if people who had their LCL reconstructed have also experienced failures or if anyone has had success with the LARS ligament as I know they have a bad rep but unfortunately I had to take the chance as I hope to return to sports and my knee kept giving way to the side 30/40 times a day.
05/2014 - fell during a half marathon and hurt my right knee
02/2015 - PLC + LCLreconstruction using hamstring graft
05/2015 -Revision LCL reconstruction using hamstring graft
10/2015 - Revision LCL reconstruction using LARS ligament and revision PLC reconstruction