Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Plica in knee advice needed!!!  (Read 1233 times)

Offline amiforeva

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Plica in knee advice needed!!!
« on: October 09, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »
I went to the doctor about a week ago and he diagnosed me with a plica in my right knee. He said if I did not get better after 2 weeks I would get a cortisone shot and after that maybe surgery. He said surgery was uncommon but I was wondering if that was the case. If I have to get surgery, what is the recovery time? Will I need crutches if so for how long? Will I have some sort of brace?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 06:26:22 PM by amiforeva »

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Plica in knee advice needed!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 03:44:19 PM »
Hi There,

I can give you some advice as I have been through surgery to remove my medial plica and fat pad trim that was my 1st ever surgery in November 2009 on my right knee. Pre-op my OS tried all the conservative methods of treatments before he went for a diagnostic arthroscopy.

I had the routine physiotherapy sessions that was not making any differences to the pain and catching I was feeling at the bottom of my kneecap. I then had MRI scan that came back negative with slight fluid around the fat pad that my OS was not too concerned about. Then I was given ultrasound therapy and a cortisone injection that only numbed the pain but still had the catching sensation.

Once my OS had a good luck inside my right knee he removed my medial plica that was inflamed and trimmed my fat pad that was also enlarged which was why I had felt catching inside the knee pre-op. The recovery was slow and frustrating taking 18 months to fully recover again and get back into competitive long distance running.   

I did have go to the plain clinic and had a cortisone injection as my recover was slow and then had dry needling (IMS) done on the NHS as my quads were extremely tight and knotted. The IMS was done on the NHS by a Sports Physician that did help me to get back into running again.

I know a lot of KG members have had plica removal surgery and would say it is 50/50 if the surgery is a successful or not! Some say it really helped whiles other members say they wish they never had plica surgery!

I am sorry if I come across negative, good luck.

[email protected]
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Baggieswidow

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 09:01:12 PM »
If I could turn back the clock I would not have had surgery to remove my plica because 10 years on I have had numerous surgeries including a tibial tuberosity transfer and now walk with a stick and live on pain killers. My NHS surgeon failed to clean out my knee following the so called straight forward arthroscopy he let it bleed inside.

Offline wilmawilfred

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 06:23:14 AM »
Hi , I do not know if this would work but have you heard of ACL Knee brace? It is basically to rebuild the muscles and redistribute weight evenly. It also reduces further wear and tear. I was suffering from knee injury and my sports physician  suggested this. It was effective for me You  check it out.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 04:00:55 PM »
If I could turn back the clock I would not have had surgery to remove my plica because 10 years on I have had numerous surgeries including a tibial tuberosity transfer and now walk with a stick and live on pain killers. My NHS surgeon failed to clean out my knee following the so called straight forward arthroscopy he let it bleed inside.

It took 18 months to fully recover and was worth waiting for, I was able to run again competitively for a further 18 months before I was back to square one once again not being able to run. Then I had my 2nd scope in July 2014 that turned out to be excessive scarring/bleeding inside the knee from scope #1. Now looks like a 3rd surgery is highly likely to happen in the early part of 2016.

My OS did mention doing an osteotomy as the last possible option if all other treatments fail! There is something not right as the pain and swelling in centred around the tibia and patella tendon. My last ultrasound injection showed fluid close to the patella tendon, a cortisone injection was injected directly into the fluid. This does not fix the problem just numbing the pain.

I did not require any walking aids or knee support aids after my last two surgeries as I was allowed to fully weight bear. No CPM machine after my AIR surgery that should have been on which is why I worse off as I fear the excessive bleeding has attacked the patella tendon and tibia! 

[email protected]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 03:35:11 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Leena20

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
Hi, just to say I had a completely different experience. I had a plica taken out of my knee and fat pad trim many years ago. Went from being in too much pain to walk 10 mins to skiing in 3 months. Had a very easy recovery and only got more knee problems 5 years later because of completely unrelated reasons to the plica.

Offline needgoodnews

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 10:30:40 PM »
I went to the doctor about a week ago and he diagnosed me with a plica in my right knee. He said if I did not get better after 2 weeks I would get a cortisone shot and after that maybe surgery. He said surgery was uncommon but I was wondering if that was the case. If I have to get surgery, what is the recovery time? Will I need crutches if so for how long? Will I have some sort of brace?
amiforever, did your symptoms get better on their own? update?

All, where in the knee did plica pain show up?

Offline tlouisiana

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 03:36:54 PM »
I was diagnosed with the same thing.  I am 2 months post op and at this point I feel like I am in a worst position than before surgery.  Im not giving up hope yet though.  Ill see where I am at a year from now.   Im curious as to what your symptoms are?  I had a sharp pain on the medial side of the knee when I would do a deep squat.  I just couldnt quite bend it as far as my other knee.