Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 7 days out of OATS surgery. Will it get better???  (Read 5787 times)

Offline mtnbikcowboy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • all terrain life
Re: 7 days out of OATS surgery. Will it get better
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004, 06:42:28 PM »
Scott, I am where you were when you posted.  I am six days and wondering the same things you were.  I had a single medial condyle 15mm allograft on April 1.  Although not the first, autograft one year ago same location. I know what you mean about the desk thing.  Very difficult to be upright and sitting without ice and such.  My deal is a workers comp and my os returned me to light duty at first post op last time.  I work as a firefighter/paramedic and the department has a full time physician that you have to see before returning to any kind of duty.  After one day of sitting at a desk my knee was swollen, painful, throbbing, and discolored(well more so than normal).  The deparment doc took a look and discontinued light duty until free from crutches.  This allowed me to use the ice machine, cpm, and elevate any time I was not in pt.  Very helpful.  Post again with your progress.  
5/02-scope, debridement
7/02-microfracture
3/03-oats-autograft
1/04-scope, debridement
3/04-oats-allograft
2/05-pkr

Offline scottrayden

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: 7 days out of OATS surgery. Will it get better
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2004, 08:18:03 PM »
Hey thanks for the post!

Yes the first time back to work was a little rough. I couldn't really elevate my knee that much and it just wasn't working. I basically took half days for a week until I could take it. My recomendation would be to take it slow. It does get better : )

Right now I'm 7 weeks out of surgery. Wow it feels like a lot longer than that.... Things are going well. I feel now pain other then a few aches here and there. I'm really working on getting stronger by biking, lunges, squats so on. I think in about 2 weeks I'll start light jogging if my doctor ok's it. I get the urge to jog now but I  now I should wait and not rush it. The swelling is still not totaly gone but it's a lot better. I do still get some clicking and odd things when walking every now and then but I think it will go away when the knee swelling is totaly gone. I'm very happy with the recovery as of now. The first month was the roughest though. I HATE CRUTCHES hahahah.

Let me know if you want any more detials from me. I'm happy to share my experience.

I've also had two previous surgeries o nthe same knee. Two acl's recons. I'm hoping this is my last one. Although I'm already craving to get back on the basketball court.

Scott

support