Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My Cartiform Patella Implant/Cyst Removal Surgery 9/8/15  (Read 23350 times)

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 55
Re: My Cartiform Patella Implant/Cyst Removal Surgery 9/8/15
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 03:39:33 PM »
I think this Denver newscast messed up the story. Dr. Vidal repaired his ACL and he also had cartilage damage repaired with cartiform (all in the same surgery). I assure you cartiform is ONLY used for articular cartilage repair and NOT for ligament repair.

Offline lrc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 03:41:18 PM »
Yep - I'm still sleepy and didn't read your second post clearly enough.   I might have to go see Dr. Vidal...  Thanks for the clarification!

LRC

Offline pilsoo5861

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2016, 03:57:59 PM »
Hello!

Let me copy this article of University of Maryland Medical Center.
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/mcmurry/mhm_bwmc_2015fall/#/12

Offline esale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 11:07:17 PM »
Hey iwillrunagain,

I had an almost identical surgery as you.  Cartiform with micro fracture, I had it done in Aspen, Colorado by Dr. Pevny.  I had a chondral defect on my patella, maybe slightly smaller than yours, from a dirtbiking accident. So I am about 3 month out and head to the doctor early next week for a check up.  I'm having a lot of cracking/popping noise in my knee.  The pain is very manageable, I can lightly jog with no pain.  I was wondering if you had any of this "creptius" and if your went away with time?  Good luck with your recovery.

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 02:33:25 PM »
Hi Esale,

I definitely have some crunching and clicking going on in my knee still.  It is usually painless though.  Leg extensions still cause me some slight pain and that is without any weight.  I am about to hit 5 months post op next week.  I didn't notice the clicking/crunching until I started getting more aggressive with PT at the 4 month mark.  My last follow up with my doc was way back in December before I noticed the crunching, so I wasn't able to ask him if it was normal.

The only other patella cartiform poster on this website is canyonking and he is nearly two years out.  He says he still has some grinding, but is completely pain free now (even when squatting).  I'm going to make the assumption that the cartiform probably will never be completely smooth, but it is still protecting us from that painful bone on bone feeling!

Please let me know what Dr. Pevny has to say about the crunching and clicking in your follow-up next week. Best wishes in recovery to you too!

Offline ThirdRound

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2016, 03:30:46 AM »
Do you know if there are any statistics comparing Cartiform to ACI? Or if any doctors in the Boston area are performing Cartiform?

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 01:30:27 PM »
Hi thirdround. The International cartilage repair society graded the cartiform repair tissue a 91/100 in tissue morphology. Denovo was graded at 25/100 in comparison. I couldn't find an ICRS score for ACI, but from a discussion with my surgeon it's in the same class as Denovo. The problem with ACI and Denovo is that the normal three layered architecture of hyaline cartilage is not recreated. The multiplying chondrocytes during the ACI and Denovo have an unreliable biological potential. In my opinion, if you are still getting ACI or Denovo in 2016, it is comparable to buying a Nokia brick cell phone for $500 when you can get an iPhone for the same price. Why go with a technology that's 20 years old, when there's new and better options? Idk about Boston, but the closest cartiform surgeon that I know of on the east coast is Dr. Frank henn in Maryland. I would ask around though because cartiform is really gaining momentum in the US and I'm sure there is a closer surgeon to you. I just don't know of one at the time

Offline esale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2016, 04:14:56 AM »
I will post an update tueday when I see him. I dont have any pain associated with the popping/grinding either, it just doesnt sounds good lol.

At 5 months out are you back to sports?

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2016, 07:08:52 PM »
Esale - I am not back to any impact sports yet.  Right now, I'm just doing a lot of road cycling which my knee handles just fine (even up big hills).

I don't think I could run much more than 50 yards right now. The impact from the few times I've tried jogging a few steps is still uncomfortable.  I don't know about you, but my incision was 5 inches and I still have some swelling even at 5 months now.

My rehab guidelines from my doctor are super conservative.  A walk/jog routine will not even be initiated until 12 months post op.  Although it stinks, I'm going to listen to my Dr.  Waiting a few more months to start sports is worth it to me if it means I can potentially avoid more future surgeries.

Offline poohray32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2016, 03:37:03 AM »
Hi,

I've been trying to post on here forever!!!!  I've had 4 knee surgeries, 3 in the last 12 months.  I'm a previous D1 field hockey player with a jacked up knee from pounding away on the Astro turf and bball courts growing up.  Now 34 and always in excruciating knee pain and unable to run around with my daughter and play😫😡

I had microfracture on my trochlea groove in November of 2014 to fix defects.  Ffwd a few months and I  still had awful pain 6 months after mfx surgery. My OS had me lose 50 lbs to take extra stress off my knee and I still couldn't do daily activities without pain, I.E walking, sleeping etc..

Had another MRI, OS said Mfx worked and healed in well but thought the cause of my pain now was from other cartilage defects on the backside of patella.  He wanted to do ACI surgery but said I was probably not a candidate bc I had a kissing legion from the earlier Mfx surgery.

OS agreed to do exploratory scope to see if I qualified for ACI and I did NOT, my legions were too close in proximity to one another.  He was proactive and took healthy cartilage plugs and sent them off to carticel to grow/freeze in the lab if need be for future.

Since I wasn't a candidate for ACI that day, he stopped the scope and immediately cut me open and performed the Cartiform surgery with donor graft.  So, I've had microfracture 11/2014 and then Cartiform a year later 11/2015. 

Rehab is crazy long on this surgery!!  It's really hard to stay upbeat at times, I wish I had just blown my knee out instead!   :o
Left knee Scope - Medial Mensicus, plica removal --12/98
Left knee Microfracture  Trochella Groove 12/14
Left knee Cartiform 11/15
(and scope to harvest healthy cartilage for possible ACI if needed later.)

Offline poohray32

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2016, 04:27:48 AM »
Esalle.  I'm having lots of popping and grinding lately, I noticed it happening a lot more around the 10th week.  Possibly due to the fact that I was finally walking with a somewhat normal gait pattern and physically doing more things compared to being locked in a leg brace for 6 weeks at 0 degrees.

Sometimes the clicks I feel are just scar tissue breaking up from the Cartiform surgery, other pops are definitely louder and painful.  At my 10 week check up my OS said if there were any loud painful pops to stop what I was doing bc I was aggravating my knee.
Left knee Scope - Medial Mensicus, plica removal --12/98
Left knee Microfracture  Trochella Groove 12/14
Left knee Cartiform 11/15
(and scope to harvest healthy cartilage for possible ACI if needed later.)

Offline kneedit

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2016, 02:43:37 AM »
Hi willrunagain,

Glad you are doing well in your recovery process. 

I also had a defect on my patella and am in the recovery process and would like to ask you some questions.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 03:44:22 AM by kneedit »

Offline willrunagain

• Regular Poster
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »
6 months post op update:

I finally hit six months post cartiform surgery to my patella.  There seem to be a lot more negative stories on this website, so I just wanted to tell everybody how happy I am having had this surgery.  The sharp, stabbing pains I used to get behind my kneecap are a thing of the past.

I finally got the green light to do air squats, lunges, and stairs this week.  I am ecstatic to say that I have virtually no pain when squatting or doing lunges.  It is a truly amazing feeling after being in so much pain for almost 2 years.  I also biked 35 miles last week through hilly terrain.  I was even able to stand up and pedal without kneecap pain! What a feeling it was!  I haven't been able to stand and pedal on a bike without stabbing pain in almost 2 years!

Running is still out of the question for another 4-5 months because I still have some patella tendon/soft tissue inflammation that doesn't like the repetitive impact.  But I'm in no rush to return to impact sports quite yet anyway.  The biking does me good for now. 

Best wishes to everyone out there searching for solutions for cartilage problems.  I am proof that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline canyonking

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2016, 12:44:49 AM »
Will run, our experiences with cartiform are almost identical. I just hit my 2 year mark and am still loving it. Everything you describe are almost words out of my mouth. Standing up out of the saddle on a bike without the stabbing pain has been amazing. I wanted so badly to have the same thing done to my other knee but it is not in the cards for now. I just had an ftg inlay done by Dr. Davidson to resurface what was a pretty damaged trochlear groove. I'm hoping that will give me some relief for a while and I will continue with the euflexxa injections. Thanks for all of your posting and research :)

Offline pilsoo5861

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2016, 02:11:59 PM »
Good to see your happy outcomes, send you lots of congratulations!

support