Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Please Help - s/p TKR x 1 Year; Ortho Surg Stumped  (Read 489 times)

Offline TLCannon11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please Help - s/p TKR x 1 Year; Ortho Surg Stumped
« on: September 04, 2015, 06:21:55 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am 45 y/o F who has had x8 knee surgeries; last one in Nov 2014 was TKR. Underwent therapy, and while never "fully recovered" from it, was doing okay.

Over last 4-5 months, I have episodes of severe swelling @ knee site and unable to walk on it. It's almost like smashing your thumbnail, and the blood that pools under creating extreme pain and pressure.

X-rays and CT show no abnormality. Last "tap" was ~60cc of blood; no infection or crystals. We are testing for potential allergy to the nickel in the implant.

The swelling goes down after a few days. Then it will swell up immediately for no particular reason...a walk through a store, or bending it...it's not like it is after heavy exertion.

Several ortho surgeons are stumped. Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas as to what could be causing this? Thank you!!

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 101
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: Please Help - s/p TKR x 1 Year; Ortho Surg Stumped
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 11:30:44 PM »
Here is a paper on metallosis - http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/primers/joint-cartilage-and-arthritis-primer/metallosis-after-knee-replacement .  I would have thought metal toxicity a possible option.
--
KNEEguru

Offline TLCannon11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 09:35:55 PM »
Thank you very much; will bring this to the attention of my ortho surgeon.

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 101
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 02:49:42 PM »
Also there may be synovium being nipped between the articulation. Metal problems can cause excessive synovial overgrowth.
--
KNEEguru

support