Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Dislocated knee turned ACL tear?? Confused!  (Read 1895 times)

Offline Anon3784

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Dislocated knee turned ACL tear?? Confused!
« on: September 04, 2015, 04:59:12 AM »
Hello!

I'm very new to this forum- came across it while looking for some more information, so I figured I would post and see what y'all think!

About a month ago, I was racing in an obstacle course 5k, and about 2 miles in, I was running too fast down a pretty steep hill, got caught on a little ditch in the ground. My knee got twisted and partially dislocated. It popped back in almost immediately, but due to the momentum I ended up having to pretty much skip down this hill on my one leg until I could safely fall over since I couldn't apply pressure to my left leg/knee. I was on the ground and two racers caught up and half carried me over to the side, where I couldn't put any pressure on my left leg and was essentially dragged since I couldn't lift it up. I had to sit down with my knees bent for about 15min while they got medical, and during that time my knee went from intense pain to a duller ache.

Medical came and said they couldn't provide any help unless I agreed to drop out of the race, and being the stubborn person I am, I agreed to come to the tent after I tried to finish this obstacle race. Long story short, it was on the side of a mountain and I could barely walk, let alone get through the obstacles. I tried to walk alongside the track and finish at least the trail part, but after trying and failing to extend my knee without incredible pain just to walk up a hill, I conceded and walked down to the medical tent. This is about 30min later. They got my vitals and propped/iced my knee for 20min, but then I had to go home, so they wrapped my knee in ice and I left. I was on my feet for the next 45min, and then had to be driven home about 1 1/2 hours away with major difficulty walking. Throughout the next week, I had trouble walking and I couldn't extend my knee very far at all. There was some swelling, but it didn't last. This is my third knee injury in a year- Spring of 2014 my knee was dislocated twice (both during soccer practice), but the pain associated didn't last more than a week or two each time, and didn't keep me out of sports more than  1 1/2 weeks

Flash forward to 2 weeks later where I start my Cross Country season. The first workout I did was an intense hill repeat that I did not perform well on, and the rest of the week my knee got worse. By that Friday, it was very swollen and tight, which lasted until the following week. There was a 3-4 day period that once more, I could barely walk, and a few days after I would have trouble walking the first few hours of the day, but then it would loosen up and feel a lot better by the afternoon.

I went to the doctor Tuesday feeling mostly fine except for a little stiffness, and she did X-Rays that showed no problems and fit me for a knee brace. She then told me I might have a partial or complete tear of my ACL, and that I'm scheduled for a MRI next week, and scheduled to start PT in about two weeks.

While I will have some off and on problems with pain, stability, and stiffness, the swelling hasn't resurfaced and as I write this, I feel fine. Should I be concerned that there is a problem with my ACL? When she mentioned it, I was super surprised because I thought it was just a dislocated knee, and an ACL tear seems way too serious for a knee injury that is starting to feel 90% healed.

Any insight? I'm very stressed about the whole deal, as I'm pretty competitive in Cross Country and know that ligament surgery would keep me out of my last season in HS, not to mention very much hurt my chances of being allowed to attend military school next year.

Thank you so much in advance! Sorry you had to read all of that. :)

Offline fraz

• Regular Poster
Re: Dislocated knee turned ACL tear?? Confused!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 02:15:11 PM »
From what I have read if the ACL is injured it will not heal - As it is surrounded by synovial joint fluid so a clot can't form around it -

Apparently the PCL can heal as it is outside the joint capsule or some of it is anyway [tibial insertion] - Even though I've learned lots about knees I'm not 100% sure of this

Any serious knocks may damage ligaments and meniscus - Even if the ACL PCL are slightly injured it could start a chain of events that develop over time until a more serious problems occurs such as meniscus tears due to laxity especially if you recover and get super active and then one day your running and you just inure yourself for no apparent reason which is what is know as "an episode of giving way" -think string that is frayed and then slips a little more so it is more frayed and not so "partial" anymore.

Happy healing  :)

Offline fraz

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »
I've not read all your post but did read you've had multiple injuries - cumulative effect is bad bad news.  Even little injuries adding up will create a big problem one day.  Muscle is ok to injure [just don't tear it]-But you can't choose your injuries can you :D

Offline KP1708

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 02:31:53 PM »
Dislocations can tear ligaments, grade 1-3, with 3 being a complete rupture.
Some people can live without acl for every day activities, however trying to run a race
would be difficult because of pain and instability.
ACL reconstruction is relatively easy to bounce back from in 6-9 months, and should be as good as new.

support