Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL revision & medial meniscus transplant  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Cueson9

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL revision & medial meniscus transplant
« on: September 01, 2015, 05:54:59 PM »
Hey everyone,

Just a quick back story, I ruptured my ACL and torn my lateral and medial meniscus playing football 5 years ago. I then had my reconstruction 2 years after the initial accident along with a menisectomy. The initial surgery was a success but unfortunately i developed an infection, quite a bad one actually. I then had two arthroscopic washouts along with 6 weeks of antibiotics which weren't fun whatsoever!! I rehabbed hard when i was given the all clear and the knee felt pretty good for about a year. It then deteriorated over time and i then ruptured it again playing football! Really innocuous again, my studs got caught in the ground and an audible pop followed. I instantly knew i was in trouble as it blew up straight away! My MRI scan 4 weeks later shown quite a bit of laxity of the ACL graft and an abnormal loss of medial meniscus.

Instead of seeing my new surgeon back at home in Birmingham, England (I had my initial surgery in Leeds as i was at university at the time) i rehabbed my knee from scratch for 6 months just so i could build the strength in my quads, hamstrings, glutes etc. After those 6 months i went and seen my surgeon who ordered an MRI and x-rays straight away. Those confirmed a rupture of my ACL graft and near enough no medial meniscus! I then went through a 2 stage ACL revision, which started with the old hardware and torn ligament being taken out and the tibial tunnel being bone grafted ready for the second stage.

I'm now currently 5 and half weeks post ACL revision & medial meniscus transplant surgery. Everything  seems to be going really well (fingers crossed!!) after seeing my physio twice in the past few weeks. My pain has gone and the swelling has pretty much gone too. I'm currently non weight bearing and from what the physio has said, i'll be partial weight bearing for 4-6 weeks after my 6 week check up with my surgeon. We shall see though.

The first few weeks were the hardest i must say. My pain tolerance is quite good, but the pain this time was definitely a different level compared to the previous times! I think that mainly came from the medial meniscus transplant. Everything seems to be in order though and i'm looking forward to partial weight bearing and stepping up my rehab.

It would be nice to hear from anyone who is currently going through this procedure or has previously. If there is anyone who has been through this, how are you doing now? Was the outcome of this surgery a success?

Adam
Ruptured ACL and torn lateral and medial meniscus 22/09/2010
ACL reconstruction and medial menisectomy 28/08/2012
First arthroscopic washout due to infection 03/09/2012
Second arthroscopic washout due to infection 11/09/2012
ACL revision & medial meniscus transplant 24/07/15

support