Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Depressed and frustrated.  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Dudemanguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
Depressed and frustrated.
« on: August 26, 2015, 07:13:46 AM »
Hey how's it going folks. I'm a 23 year old male, and 2 months ago I tore my acl as well as a bucket handle tear on my meniscus while playing soccer, so I've been on crutches for over 2 months. It's been almost 5 weeks since I've had the patellar autograft acl reconstruction, and my lateral meniscus sewn up. I've had pretty good support from my friends and family, but I can't help but feel a sense of uselessness, depression, and isolation. When my friends take me out, I feel like I'm dragging everyone down with me due to my crippled state. This injury not only ruined my social life, and finances, but my love life as well. I feel so pathetic limping around in crutches when I'm in public and I know I'm not a special snowflake, but it's just difficult to explain my situation to others as they don't really know what I'm going through since these injuries aren't as common as we think they are. Is there anyone out there with a similar injury or situation that can tell me what they did to get through it, or what they're currently doing? It would help a lot to know that I'm not alone in this.

Offline Leena20

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 6
Re: Depressed and frustrated.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:18:52 PM »
Hey you are definitely not alone! I'm 25 and have had knee problems in both legs for the last 2 years, facing my 6th operation next month. Sounds like you need to start thinking about things more positively though - I wish I had your injury. I know its the most annoying thing to say but things really could be worse. Stop thinking about everything you can't do and focus on the things you can because getting depressed about it will just make it worse - much easier said than done! Can you meet your friends for drinks/cinema? I have read a lot of books the last few years, made a website, did some painting, did an online learning course, played card games with friends, when my knees were not so bad I went swimming with a leg float or used the arm weights at the gym - I thought people were staring at me because I looked stupid but am sure it was all in my mind. When I walk slowly I shout at my friends to slow down and try to make a joke of it. There are lots of things you can do whilst your knee heals, the main thing that holds you back is your head. I've had really bad patches coming to terms with some of the stuff I will never do again but the sadness of it does pass.

Offline Dudemanguy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 09:15:00 PM »
What's up man, I'm sorry to hear that you're barely 25 and have recurring knee issues, and you're right, it could be worse! I was just feeling down cause it was a couple weeks post op and I wanted things to heal up quickly, even though the best therapy is time. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had knee issues for? And what kind? I really hope your op goes well btw!

Offline Torao

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:06:37 PM »
Everybody goes through the feeling depressed, why did this happen to me aspect. I didn't have acl surgery, but I have had 5 knee surgeries now. I just keep getting up and going to the gym and working on the things that I can. It can get frustrating being limited, but I'm taking the opportunity to work on skills that I wouldn't otherwise have the time to work on. My goal is to have a front planche before my knee gets fully released from limitations after my last surgery (I've still got about 9.5 months to go before being unrestricted).

As for feeling like you're dragging everybody down, as my friends have taken to reminding me

One awesome thing about being Eeyore is that even though he's basically clinically depressed, he still gets invited to participate in adventures and shenanigans with all his friends. And they never expect him to pretend to feel happy, they just love him anyway, and they never leave him behind or ask him to change.

Do what you can, let your friends drag you out even when you don't feel like it and it will get better over time.